We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on the Grand Old House??

Atlanta
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Thoughts on the Grand Old House??

Is it a great place for a wedding? How about the restaurant? I know it is pricey. Is it worth it? Also, if we are there in earlier August and we are eating out on the gazebo, will the heat be to much. Dinner around 8pm.

Thank you!!!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on the Grand Old House??

Oh my goodness! Grand Old House is such a special & wonderful place:) Beautiful setting (the Gazebo is too charming for words!), excellent food. Dinner at that time will be lovely. Evebn if it is somewhat warm during the day (and since you are from Atlanta, Cayman August very likely more comfy than what you experience that time of the year) as soon as the Sun sets, the air cools just enough to be perfect. If I were ever planning a wedding, anytime of the year, Grand Old House would be my top choice by a landslide. IS worth every penny!!!

Gnf
Chicago
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on the Grand Old House??

YEARS ago, there was a lady who had a lovely needlepoint shop at the top of that elegant staircase in the Grand Old House. It was more an art studio than a shop. She had handpainted canvases which were wonderful pieces to bring home as a memory of delightful times on the island. Sigh...I wish it was still there. I wonder where she is today.

Georgiann

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on the Grand Old House??

GOH is a great location for a wedding... but then I'm biased, I was married there many a moon ago.

Personally I'd say August would be a little hot to eat outside in the evening there, but then August is (for a local at least) a bit too hot to eat most anywhere outside, even in the evenings.... but GOH does have a lovely old building that is air conditioned inside... much more civilised in the summer months.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on the Grand Old House??

Thank you to all that responded.

The person at the GOH is trying to keep us outside on the gazebo. I am a little worried that everyone will be sweating while eating dinner. I am hearing mixed reviews between warm and sweaty to nice and breezy.

Also, the little woman wants the gazebo, so basically I'm screwed. The gazebo it is. I just hope the weather is some how nice and breezy. I would hate to look across the table and see everyone uncomfortable.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on the Grand Old House??

I've been there in August and it is hot, BUT the sun will be down at 8pm and the view will be gorgeous! I doubt that anyone will be uncomfortable, even if it is a little warm. You're in CAYMAN and beauty trumps heat any day!!

Best wishes!

Summer

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on the Grand Old House??

I believe there is a ceiling fan in the gazebo:) By 8 PM the Sun will have set and temps will have eased a bit. In truth, the peak high temps of summer are at most 10 degrees more than they are right now.

7. Re: Thoughts on the Grand Old House??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 11:20
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman