We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours that leave early

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Tours that leave early

I am sure this has been asked before but I looked for a little while and could not find anything so here goes. Can anyone reccommend a Sting Ray City tour operator that leaves earlier then some of the the other operators to beat the crowds. I know not to go during days when the cruises are in town but I would still like to avoid as much crowds as possible.

I read somewhere about a tour where they leave a little early and you ride waverunners but I would think that it would be hard to get back on the waverunners when you leave Sting Ray City. One of the people in our group is not the most graceful person. :) Anyone have experience doing this tour?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,388 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours that leave early

If you book a private boat you may get more leeway on the time. Any boat that includes others is going to have a specific schedule especially if it includes picking people up. In general boat captains get to work long before guests turn up as they have to do a full safety check before anyone can even board. Meanwhile crew members have plenty to do with water coolers, fruit, checking equipment for guests etc. I think the start times take that into consideration as well. However, on a private charter you can probably get whatever you want (within what is allowed by gov't reg) for a price! Google private charters or check gocayman.ky, and other similar pages.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
359 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours that leave early

How early? Last time we used Sotos and went on Sunday morning 9:30 - 11:30. We really liked them because they don't take a big crowd, so you get more personalized service. We are booked with them again in June (on Sunday morning).

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours that leave early

We would be happy to leave around 8am-9am if possible. We were hoping if we got there a little earlier then some of the other boats we could avoid the crowds. I will have to check out the Sotos operation. How many people do they take on a boat?

Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours that leave early

how about going later? most cruise ships leave before 5pm. I went with Captain dexter on a Saturday from 1:30 to 5:30 and there was only a couple of other private boats at the Sandbar. It was great!

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours that leave early

We went with Captain Marvin.....it may have been an early Saturday afternoon......we were the only boat there.....by the time we were about to finish, 3 other boats showed up. We were also the only boat at Coral Gardens and the reef.....it was nice....maybe 20 people on our boat.

Land O Lakes...
Level Contributor
181 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours that leave early

We always stay at the Grand Caymanian on the North Sound and go to Sting Ray City with the dive shop onsite. It leaves at 8 am and is the first boat there. You can email them at diversdown@diversdown.net to get specific questions answered. The boat isn't crowded and they are a great crew!

Virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours that leave early

I second the trip out from the Grand Caymanian with Divers Down. Small boat, only 15 folks on our trip. We were the first group out and had the place to ourselves. We were finished on out way to the reef for some snorkeling before the second boat even reached the sandbar. When we headed back there were about 8 boats, some with as many as 60 people on them.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours that leave early

Everyone thanks for the advice. I checked around and I think I will go with Sotos. I wanted to go wtih Divers Down because they get out to Sting Ray City early but they said they dont make reservations. They determine on Sunday of every week according to the weather what days they are going to Sting Ray City. We would feel more comfortable for a group of 5 people to have a reservation before hand.

Land O Lakes...
Level Contributor
181 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours that leave early

We've never had an issue with going out with Divers Down, even making reservations just the day before. We always wait to see what the weather's going to be like before making reservations, otherwise you might not have an enjoyable excursion, especially if it's windy.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours that leave early

I made a reservation with Soto's 10 days ago and I never received a email confirmation so I emailed them yesterday and they replied back today saying the boat is being used for a private charter that day. That sure is a disappointment. I would think it would take less then 10 days to get back with me so that did not make me happy. So I am back to the drawing board. Any other suggestions?