We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Stop - What to do?

charlotte, north...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cruise Stop - What to do?

We are making a 6 hour port call in Grand Cayman and would like to know where we could go to enjoy a really nice beach/pool experience and/or any other suggestions.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Stop - What to do?

There are no beach/with nice pool places that permit cruisers to use their facilities. Major beach places available are Royal Plams and Beach Club Colony which are both located on Seven Mile Beach... just a few minutes drive from Georgetown where the ships dock, and Rum Point which is out near Cayman Kai...about a 45 minute drive from Georgetown.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Stop - What to do?

Yes, the Beach Club Colony will offer you both beach and pool, food, drink and beach chairs are available and they welcome cruise ship visitors. It is only a 10 minute cab ride from where the ships land.

Remember, since you only have 6 hours, that you will need to return in enough time to line up for a tender to take you out to your ship.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Stop - What to do?

luvbirdsinnc,

I beg to differ.

You can lounge around a pool anywhere. The ship will have pool/beach break excursions in every port you visit.

What you can't do everywhere is Stingray City.

Going to Grand Cayman and not seeing Stingray City is like going to Asheville and not seeing Biltmore.

CTR

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Stop - What to do?

Do you think Rum Point is worth the 45 minute drive, considering the 6 hour stop? I have heard it's beautiful!! Or do you think finding a spot along the seven mile beach would be just as good to enjoy the scenery and lounge on the beach?

Thanks

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Stop - What to do?

The only way I think a trip to Rum Point from a cruise ship is possible is to book a snorkel tour that includes a stop at RP.

Otherwise you will be wasting vacation time getting a rental car, etc. No other reasonable way to get there.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise Stop - What to do?

SMB and Rum Point are pretty different in various ways. I would look to maximize time on the beach given you have 6 hours. The drive to/from will most likely take 1.5 hours total...that leaves you with 4.5 max. (don't know how much time you need for the tenders). Nothing more stressful than rushing around on a time schedule while on vacation. Not my idea of fun. That said, SMB is a better bet between the 2 but as CTR mentioned, I'd opt for Stingray City over laying on the beach. Then, once you get home, plan a week on GC and take in all the other stuff.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise Stop - What to do?

More than once we have been on the beach, watching a cruise ship start to leave port, only to see it being chased down by a fast-moving speed boat. Yet another group of passengers who cut it too close in port to get back to the ship in time, so whatever you plan, just make sure that you are back to Gerogetown in plenty of time to get a tender to the ship (I'm guessing the cruise line provides you with details/times). It could get expensive if you have to charter a boat to get you out to the ship, and even more expensive if you have to hop a plane to the next port of call!!!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise Stop - What to do?

I would definitely do Stingray City. The first time we saw Cayman was on a cruise and we went to the Beach Club. It was fine, but Stingray City is incredible! We've been back several times since the cruise to stay on the island.

9. Re: Cruise Stop - What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 22:20