We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
411 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

If we can only eat at one of these restaurants, which do you think is the best and why? We are returning on our third trip in June, but we have never eaten at either of these places - wanted to try and fit in something new this time. Thanks!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

We really like Calypso Grille. The meals are great & the sticky toffee puding dessert there is awesome! Have not been to Fisherman's Reef, but our son did have dinner there one night in March after we returned home and said it was excellent...a place he puts at the top of his list! Think you will be happy with either:)

TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

We ate at Fisherman's Reef in December... 6 adults ordering all different things and all agreed it was great. HOWEVER, we have heard such wonderful things about Calypso Grille, we're going to try that in June !

Sounds like a coin toss you can't lose !

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

Haven't eaten at Fisherman's Reef, but LOVE Calypso Grill! Our favorites were the Shrimp Cubano and the Shrimp and Lobster in Champagne sauce!

South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

LOL! Haven't eaten at Calypso but have eaten at Fishermans and Fisherman's is at the TOP of our list every time we go to Cayman. They make this AMAZING fresh bread - to die for. Shrimp St. Barts with rum and orange sauce and I've yet to eat a dessert there that I didn't swoon over. Go to both and give us a report! ;)

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

By the sound of it, you can't go wrong with either pick. Try one this time and the other on your next trip?

We love Calypso Grill and have yet to try Fisherman's Reef...next trip we will.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

As with most of the posters here, we have been to Calypso Grill and can still close our eyes and feel the experience. We will have to try Fisherman's Reef on our next trip. Even my teenage son keeps talking about what a great dinner he had there. He kept wishing his girlfriend was there with him.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

Fisherman's Reef is one of our favorites. Chef Ottmar often " works the tables" greeting his guests like old friends. He is also flexible on varying the meal preparations, if requested. We find the food and service to be consistently excellent. We tried Calypso Grill one time a few years ago and have not returned. It was crowded, we felt rushed ( it was a weekday evening), and the menu was not suited to our taste.

Virginia
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

We ate at the Calypso Grill last October and loved it so much we went back twice that week. Staff was wonderful, never felt rushed, loved the Wahoo Eschiveche (I know that is not spelled right!) and the desserts were indeed wonderful. We had wanted to try Fisherman's Reef, but they were on vacation and closed the week we were down. Definitely looking forward to trying it this trip.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

So which has the better atmosphere?

I currently have a reservation at Calypso Grill for my husband's 40th, but wondering if I should switch.

They both sound wonderful but for a big birthday dinner, which would you suggest? Though great food is the number one prority, I am also big on ambience.

thanks!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Please! Fisherman's Reef vs Calypso Grill

Having been to both I would say there is little difference in the atmosphere. Both have nice indoor dining rooms and both offer outside tables ( it can get pretty windy out there at times). Part of the outdoor seating at Fisherman's Reef is protected by a thatched roof so you won't be rained out if you prefer to eat outdoors. You can request a table in that area if you wish. The night we ate at Calypso Grill rain was in the forcast and they had an efficient plan in place to move diners inside if necessary. We just hoped that, if the move was necessary, that there would be an empty inside table available for us. I'm sure you will love either choice.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman