We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smart Jeans in Restaurants

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Smart Jeans in Restaurants

We are taking our 15 year old son with us in July. In Europe this is virtually always acceptable (so far), but what about Grand Cayman. Do I need to buy him Chinos. Also let me know if anywhere needs smarter than Chinos and a casual collared shirt. I dress in a suit all day and anywhere that requires that sort of dress on holiday will get no custom from me.

We intend to visit Pappagallo, Cracked Conch, Calypso Grill, Fishermans Bar, and the place that does the Tarpon feeding, whose name I forget. Other than that we will probably try some more local establishments, where dress shouldn't be a problem.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smart Jeans in Restaurants

For your 15 year old, dress jeans should be fine -- however, he might be more comfortable with a pair of chinos. We have been travelling with our kids and their friends to GC for many years and the boys who came along often had jeans as their "long pants" choice. Hope you have a wonderful holiday -- also check out Ragazzi (much more than pizza), Luca (their new more upmarket restaurant - excellent), Macabuca (the beach bar behind Cracked Conch)!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Smart Jeans in Restaurants

Jeans are acceptable, but I find them way too hot for July weather! Have a great time.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smart Jeans in Restaurants

I agree with the others. Jeans are mostly fine, but we don't even pack ours anymore because they are just too hot. Chinos would be a lot more comfortable. Definately leave your suit and tie at home as you won't need them anywhere. Smart neat casual is a good way to dress.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smart Jeans in Restaurants

As others have mentioned, jeans would be fine. July it is very hot and you may be uncomfrotable.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smart Jeans in Restaurants

Not to start trouble :) but if someone's going to wear jeans whether fancy or not, a pair of khaki type docker/dress shorts would be just as appropriate and also more comfortable. Also less room in the suitcase! (chino shorts is probably what I'm referring to but using different term)

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smart Jeans in Restaurants

Thanks for your answers. Good sounds suitably laid back. I will probably get him some chinos anyway, but he seems wedded to his jeans. He knows what to expect climate wise. We were in Cuba at the same time last year, but he still insisted on Jeans for dinner!

Do I gather smart shorts are acceptable also, or is that pushing things too far?

Retrip, I was planning to try Macabuca, since it just about walkable from Papagallo and I will give some thought to Ragazzi and Luca, but to be honest I intend to eat out at expensive restaurants maybe for about 7 nights, have 2 or 3 nights at mid range such as Hammerheads and then the balance at cheap local establishments like Singh's Roti Shop, about which I've hear good things.

Can anyone recommend the best places for cheap goat curry/jerk chicken. And also are there any Indian restaurants that anyone can recommend.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smart Jeans in Restaurants

They do some good Indian dishes at My Bar at Sunset House in George Town (the main restaurant, Seaharvest, might have a bigger variety, but we stick to My Bar). Great spot to view activities at the harbor, popular with locals for lunch and dinner. Hope you have a great trip!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smart Jeans in Restaurants

My son is stuck to his jeans, also. We really enjoyed Pappagalos.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smart Jeans in Restaurants

Hi Tim!

We just got back yesterday from GC and had a wonderful time! Long shorts are fine at all of the restaurants you mentioned.

We had great dinners at Calypso Grill, Casanova, Cracked Conch, and Cafe Med. It was our first time at Casanova and meals were very good. Hope you can try it!

For inexpensive, please try Chicken, Chicken! It is rotisserie chicken done in special herbs and spices and is THE most delicious chicken I've ever had! You can get a Feast for 2-3 for $23.99, which is a whole chicken, 2 sides and cornbread.

Also, Eats, actoss from the Westin has great breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, at very reasonable prices.

DIVING~~My husband did go with Off the Wall and was very pleased! He did 6 dives with them and will use them again. They will pick you up if you don't have a car.

Have a great trip!

Summer

10. Re: Smart Jeans in Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman