We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Dive Companies

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Dive Companies

Being European, tipping doesn't come as naturally as it doe to you folks from the US. In Europe I don't think we would ever tip a dive operator, but I gather it is expected in Grand Cayman.

So a few questions:

1. How much do you tip per 2 tank dive?

2. If you have booked say 5 days diving with one company, do you tip every day or just at the end?

3. Who do you tip? We are diving with Neptune who I think have two people on the boat, the divemaster and the surface watch. Do you tip each the same or what?

Also on the subject of tipping. In a restaurant if there is a service charge included I presume you don't leave a tip?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,744 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Dive Companies

We always tip the crew on the boat each day -- you might have different people on different days. We give the money to the boat captain as we are getting off (the captains split up the tips with the crew and the tips are important to them). How much depends on how many we have diving -- in our family that is anywhere from 2 to 6. How many are in your group?

With regard to the service charge at restaurants, if it is already included, we do not usually add more. However, if the service was excellent, or they prepared something special, we do add a bit on. Have a great trip!

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Dive Companies

There is going to be 2 diving in our party.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Dive Companies

So, for a 2-tank dive for one person what do people generally tip if the service is good?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Dive Companies

Hi Tim

Beeing from Denmark I feel just like you - it is so difficult figuring out how much to tip.

I hope someone here will give a hint on how much will be appropriate.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,744 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Dive Companies

On a two tank dive we give $15/20 per each diver in our group. As I mentioned it gets given as we leave the boat and the tips get divided up between the guys who were on the boat. Usually on the boats we are on there is a captain and atleast two other crew members (sometimes three). Hope this helps!

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping Dive Companies

Thanks retrip, that's very helpful.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping Dive Companies

WOW! $15-20 per diver per day!? That seem steep to me. Do the dive companys usually pool their tips and then at the end of the week split them evenly? This has been the case where we have been diving in the past and in that case I usually just leave a large tip at the end of the week. Besides when you are diving everyday the last thing I want to think about is having cash on hand for the tips.

Thanks for the info, I will be curious to see if any other divers comment on tipping in Grand Cayman.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,744 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping Dive Companies

If there are three guys on the boat, that's only $5 each (less if you use US$). If you have a company that only has a few people working for it, pooling at the end is easier. When you go with a company with a number of boats and crew, you may not get the same people, or worse, you might get the same crew all week except for the last day. We normally finish off the holiday by buying a case of beer for the dive shop as well -- however, we usually dive with the same company that we have been using for many years when we go on a boat, and the service they give us is truly exceptional!

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping Dive Companies

We are paying about $90 per 2 tank dive including equipment rental. So a $15 dollar tip is just over 15%, which I understand is a fairly standard level for a tip in the US.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping Dive Companies

My husband gave $10-15 for himself each day. He wondered afterward if they usually get tips, because they were very appreciative.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman