We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sting ray city

usa
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sting ray city

Is it any worth going here if one does not snorkel? Is it interesting watching from the boat itself without getting into the water? ....just curious

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sting ray city

You don't have to snorkel to enjoy the trip. They take you to the sandbar and the water isn't very deep. I'm just over 5 ft tall and I can stand. Unless you are afraid of the stingrays or fish it is not to be missed!!! We have been going to GC for many years and still go to Stingray City every trip.

Think of the stingrays as cats. They swim up and rub against your legs and will eat out of your hands!! I LOVE IT!!!!

If you want to just watch from the boat, that can be very amusing too. I have never seen people get out of the water or climb on someone's shoulders so fast when the stingrays swim up!!! LOL

Have fun!!

Carol

Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sting ray city

We were told that there are 2 Stingray City sites. One that you can stand (the sand bar) and the other that we did our dive at was about 12 feet deep- we also saw a TON of snorkelers there. Just thought I would mention that before you booked anything.

usa
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sting ray city

bluewater43 , Time4Scuba, Thanks for your responses!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,091 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sting ray city

There is Stingray City Dive Site and Sandbar. The Sandbar is shallow enough to just walk around, but gets really busy when a lot of ships are in. Definitely worth the trip! Check out pictures on youtube and stingraycity.org.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sting ray city

Absolutely.....my parents went with us, my mom never got in the water and she loved every minute....the sandbars are great..we all stood in waste high water ....you don't have to snorkle!

new york
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sting ray city

We've done Sting Ray City twice with our children. You don't need to snorkel at all. The stingrays are HUGE and they are all around you. I still can't believe I let my kids do this...twice. After hearing the whole Steve Irwin tragedy I don't think I'd ever do it again.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sting ray city

Yes, there are 2 Stingray City sites. I apologize for not mentioning that in my first response. We dove the deeper site...LOL ... 14 feet laying in the sand... But that was with a dive operator. My sister & I dove and my husband snorkeled above us. He could see everything going on and had a great time too.

Most of the tour boats go to the Sand Bar. Either site is a good time!!! Just ask when making your reservation. No Worries!!!

Carol

usa
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sting ray city

Good to know there are 2 options! I would like to see them but not be around them, so I guess I will be alright on the boat then. I guess you still can get good pictures from the boat, right??

Any recommended operators besides Red Sail? They seem to be charging around 50 USD/head. How long are they really near the rays? How far is the boat ride to the "city" (sand bar)?

Thanks for all your help!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sting ray city

Bluewater, I have to laugh. When we went, a stingray passed my son and he didn't like the feeling (11 at the time). I never saw anyone jump so quick. He jumped up on my husband so quick, wrapped his arms and legs so tightly around my husband. In all my years, I've never seen him so scared.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sting ray city

The first time I went my mom was with me and she didn't like the feeling of the rays touching her so she quickly got out of the water and took pictures from the boat. I think she enjoyed it just as much from the boat as I did from the water.

I've been to both spots. I would say that the sandbar would probably be best if you don't want to get into the water since it forces the rays to be close to the surface so that you can see them from the boat.

Also, if I could suggest that you just get in the water for a minute, there are parts on the sandbar that are knee deep, you have to experiance the touch of the rays against your legs. It is the craziest feeling in the world!