We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of first trip to Grand Cayman

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Review of first trip to Grand Cayman

Ok almost done with our first trip to GC here are my impressions to date;

1. We are at the Coral Stone- all I can say is "wow what a set up " amazing beach and pool- tons of room and great location if I come back to GC we will come here again

2. The restaurants here are amazing ! We literally have not had a bad meal- we have ate at the following places....Ragazzi ( twice ) Luca Calypso Grill ( our favorite ) Copper Falls Yoshi Sushi Coconut Joes Lonestar all so good in their own way

3. the weather at this time of year can be pretty ugly the first few days here were gray and rainy yuck !

4. also this time of year , probably due to the above , the place is empty ! but everything seems open

5. rum point is a let down yeah it is pretty but the beach is gross and the snorkeling near the beach is boring not worth the drive IMHO

6. Now here is where I may get in trouble with others here- GC itself, outside of the water/ beach is kind of ugly- flat , and without alot of natural LAND beauty- so as I figured- to be here is to hang on the beach, in the water and eat- not that those are bad things of course- it just is not the kind of place where you will do alot of sight seeing- so be prepared for that-

All in all- we will probably come back someday- and stay here at the Coral Stone- when we are in the mood to have a lounge on the beach kind of vacation- we just would probably avoid october due to the weather uncertainty

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of first trip to Grand Cayman

p.s. I almost forgot We also ate at the Westin Brunch on Sunday- big $$$ but really really good !!!!

also, just today we are going to stingray city we were cancelled due to wind a couple of days ago I will let you know how it goes we are taking capt marvins

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review of first trip to Grand Cayman

Thanks for taking the time to your your trip report. Yes, GC is not known for it's scenic beauty, but that can be said for a lot of the islands. The ABC's - Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire - all come to mind as that too are pretty dry and realtively flat compared to a St. Lucia etc. Too bad you had bad weather for a few days but at least Hurricane Oamr didn't head your way! It's always a bummer when bad weather hits and yes, GC has a limited number of alternatives to spending time in the water or on the beach. We're keeping our fingers crossed that we won't have bad weather duirng our stay, which is coming up in three weeks, especially since some friends are joining us this trip and it's their first time to GC.

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review of first trip to Grand Cayman

ok we just got back from capt marvins stingray city and two snorkeling stops AWESOME ! we even bought the video what a great time just fantastic really capped the trip since we leave tomorrow the kids wil remember the sting rays for a long long time so will my wife and I

Houston
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Review of first trip to Grand Cayman

How's the weather today? We're headed down on Sunday and are hoping for a break although it looks like rain is in the forecast. Are there any breaks in the clouds/rain to allow for relaxing on the beach?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review of first trip to Grand Cayman

firstly, you chose a terrific place in Coralstone for amenities, convenient location, superb beachfront! Even if weather not perfect everyday (hey, that comes with going anyplace in the Caribbean this time of the year) surely the super condo helped eased some of that downside:)

We go annually for 8-10 days in March (always enjoy super weather) and often do a bonus October or Nov trip for 5-6 days when we experience more rain, but also warmer sea water temps. And we always stay in central SMB and always have a wonderful, relaxing time.

I agree with your restaurant takes...we also love Casanova and next time be sure to include it on your list of dining spots.

Rum Point is a nice & relaxing place when not crowded, worth visiting, but completely understand your posture on it. Hope you were able to have a casual lunch and a Mudslide there...I think the Mudslides alone are worth the drive:)

Yes, GC not geographically that pretty and certainly not lush. Bit the water is glorious, snorkeling, scuba superb, friendly, safe, easy to get around, the walking along SMB cannot be beat, and has THE best restaurants of any island.

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review of first trip to Grand Cayman

one last restaurant tonight edoardos delicious !!!! as is everything else here food wise

we will be back someday we had a great time especially when the rain ended !

p.s. as always thanks to Trip Advisor for all its help in planning this trip like so many others a priceless resource !

7. Re: Review of first trip to Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 20:23
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman