We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Grand Cayman right for me?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
355 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is Grand Cayman right for me?

My husband and I are trying to decide where to go for a March vacation.

In the past two years we've been to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and Anguilla nad I'm really worried about finding something equally as wonderful.

To give you a better sense of what we are looking for, my husband and I aren't beach people, we prefer a nice pool. On vacation we like to stay in a luxurious room, eat not good but fantastic dinners (seafood) and have a drink or two.

Anguilla was absolutely beautiful, we stayed at the Cuisinart resort which was outstanding, and the food was simply fabulous and we felt very safe.

We went to Cabo next and it might have been even a little bit better to us. No humidity, constantly a breeze going, no mosquitos, no lizards or bugs. More as far as fun bars to go to, felt very safe. The restaurants had a little bit more ambiance than Anguilla as they were all hacienda style with beautiful flowers growing, everything lit by candlight, the little mariachi guys serenading you.

So that being said, could Grand Cayman compare and were to stay? Or if you have any other ideas of where we could go, I'd love to hear them. Have been to st. martin and punta cana and absolutely hated both.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Grand Cayman right for me?

Given you're experience and requirements, I'm not sure that GC 100% compatible for what you're looking for. While it's VERY safe and has high end hotels/resorts (some with nice pool areas) along Seven Mile Beach, I get a sense that it may not offer all of what you're looking for. You're not going to have entertainers serenading you...other than perhaps the Barefoot Man over on the East End. March is high season and offers outstanding weather as well as lower levels of bugs. There are iguanas and such but they're not a problem. If you're looking for luxury, checkout the Ritz Carlton...although it's not my favorite place on the island, many others have liked it. The restaurants are outstanding with all kinds of cuisine and price points. Be forewarned that everything is expensive on the Caymans...much more so than Mexico. Especially in March. Lastly, there are some very nice condo's that I would rate as luxurious too.

Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Grand Cayman right for me?

Cayman is nothing like St Martin or Punta Cana (fortunately!), or for that matter Anguilla (never been to Cabo so can't compare). I'm not sure though that it would be right for you. The beach here is absolutely gorgeous and that's why people come here (and all that's under that clear blue water)! I'm sure you could find a good hotel with a nice pool (the Westin?) but there are very few big resorts here. Safety is definitely not an issue. There are lots of great restaurants and of course great seafood, but you pay for it dearly (think CI$30 and up for main course). Nightlife is not happening most nights, but there are of course a couple of nice bars you can go to. Ambiance, well it's a british colony not Mexico! You get the amazing views but the ambiance is quiet and understated usually.

Foxboro, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Grand Cayman right for me?

WE went to Grand Cayman last year and really liked it. It is a very safe and upscale island with a great beach,however we thought it lacked charm. Anguilla was nice but a little stuffy for us. We really liked St. Barts and St. Lucia. Great island vibe, decent food and plenty of upscale resorts. If you liked Cabo, you might also like Some of the upscale resorts of Playa Del Carmen and even Cancun. We aslo thought that Puerto Rico had some great areas and some exellent dining options.Check out old town and Isla verde. Aruba is always reliable and very safe with some great resorts. Good Luck!

4. Re: Is Grand Cayman right for me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 01:16