We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need to make a choice

LSH
Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
619 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
need to make a choice

Good Morning,

We have been looking into Anguilla for a July vacation. My husband and I along with our 17 year old daughter and her 17 year old friend would be traveling. I thought I had my mind made up to stay on SBE at Shoal Bay Villas, but with further research I have found that I can travel to GC for a comparable price. I had looked into SMB in Grand Cayman last year, but flights were prohibitive in cost and time. That has changed and now we could be in Grand Cayman in 6 hours...a little quicker than flying into St. Martin and no ferry time however there are 2 stops to GC vs. one to St. Martin (makes me worry a little about connections...). We would definitely want a 2 bedroom/2 bath villa or condo. I have looked into some and prices including air, villa and car are very comparable to those in Anguilla. I know I am on the GC forum and I have researched this topic here and on the Anguilla forum, but wanted an honest opinion on whether you think Anguilla would be too laid back for the teenage girls. Also, we are avid snorkelers and it is my understanding that GC offers more in terms of good snorkeling both off the beach and through excursions. I am torn because this is probably one of the last vacations with my daughter before she goes to college so I want it to be enjoyable for her and her friend. If anyone has any villa suggestions we would really appreciate it. We don't require anything elaborate, just clean, updated and on the beach. Another question: How is driving in GC? I know it's left side of the road, but is it fairly easy to get around and do you think a car is needed? Thank you for your help.

LSH

LSH
Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
619 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: need to make a choice

lovecayman - thank you for your post. I am seriously considering Meridian and spending the extra money as compared to LaCovia. I know that Meridian has mostly 3 bedroom suites and there are only 2 two bedroom suites so from what I can tell I would not be ground floor. Do you think that matters? There are only 4 of us so I definitley don't need 3 bedrooms. I guess I was thinking of how nice it would be to walk right out onto the beach. Also, do you know the status of construction next door to Meridian? That is Beachcomber - right and I think I read where it is opening soon so can I assume that most of the construction is complete?

Thank you for your help.

LSH

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: need to make a choice

Construction of new Beachcomber next door to Meridian is pretty much done. They were supposed to have already opened, but now I hear that will happen the beginning of April. In truth, we have stayed at Meridian from when the old Beachcomber was demolished right up thru the heaviest construction and really were not bothered, so even if "island time" brings further delays, absolutely nothing that will be at all obvious at this stage of the game.

Many prefer to stay on a higher floor since the view is so much nicer when higher up. Since we have a little one with us, the walk out ground level works better. You might ask about any possibility of getting some break on cost of 3 bedroom unit since you only need 2 bedrooms. During these economic times & fewer visitors to the island combined with your trip dates falling outside of high season, I would think something could be worked out that is fair for all.

Feel free to send me a private message with any specific questions:)

Maryland
Level Contributor
123 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: need to make a choice

We loved Aqua Bay, and I didn't notice a rocky beach. Snorkeling right in front was good, and Cemetary Beach is a few hundred yards away with excellent snorkeling. We saw many brightly colored fish at Cemetary, along with one stingray. Go just barely North of the cemetary in between the first two houses, out near where you see a buoy in the water. The staff at Aqua Bay is great, the place was clean and well furnished, the beach is not crowded, and we had no complaints.

14. Re: need to make a choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 01:20
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman