We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights to GC

LSH
Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
622 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
flights to GC

Anyone flying out of the Northeast have any suggestions about finding flights that are don't have multiple stops? I am flying out of Burlington,Vermont in July and can't seem to find anything that doesn't have at least 2 stops (US Air). The flight time is not bad (8 hours) and the price is right, but more stops means more chances for delays and missed connections. I thought there must be something more direct, but I'm not having any luck. Thank you.

LSH

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights to GC

Try orbitz to see which airlines fly from VT to GCM.

It looks as though Continental flies with one stop on Saturdays. There are other choices....not sure what price you are comparing it to though.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights to GC

using just one airline you are quite limited from Burlington and doubt you will find anything that doesn't have 2 stops enroute, unless Delta has a non-stop to Atlanta where you then can connect to GC.

Hmmm, no USAir non-stop from Burlington to Charlotte?

Other option would be to fly to JFK on one airline, then take Cayman Air direct from JFK-GCM, but I don't know if they only do winter season service on that route. Or, depending on days of travel, USAir does a non-stop from Logan to GC, but I know that is only on Saturdays and leaves early in the morning...probably too early for you to make the connection.

I will say we have never encountered any problems on USAir to GC via Charlotte & price has always been decent even during high season...then again we only have the one stop connection.

LSH
Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
622 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights to GC

Thank you for your replies. Continental is much more expensive than US Air. Unfortunately I cannot get to Charlotte without a stop at Dulles first on US Air. Not sure why, but no matter how many different combinations of dates and times I try, I cannot find only one stop through US Air. I did check into getting to JFK on JetBlue and then using Cayman Air. That looks do-able and is comparable in price to US Air. I don't know anything about Cayman Air - where it is in relation to other terminals at JFK. How long would I have to leave between flights to totally switch airlines? The best I can do between outbound flights is 75 minutes. Do you think that is enough time?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights to GC

We got a direct flight on US Air from Boston. Any chance you can fly out of Boston? I'm not sure where Alburg is.

LSH
Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
622 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights to GC

Nothing direct to Boston from Burlington on US Air so we wouldn't make the connection to GC. We're about 4 hours from Boston. Thanks.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flights to GC

Cayman Air is a top choice carrier for those who are able to fly from an area it serves! I think 75 minutes is enough time between flights even with the need to move from terminal to terminal. Often we have to go from the far end of one terminal to the far end of another one in Atlanta and have managed to do that in less than 30 minutes. We do reserve seats as close to the front of the aircraft as possible to cut down on how long it takes to get off the first flight and get to the next one.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
420 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flights to GC

how about driving to Boston the night before, stay at a hotel next to the airport and take the NS to GCM from Boston

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights to GC

Personally, I would drive to Boston. We're driving 4 hours to Charlotte in June, then direct to GCM from there.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flights to GC

for anyone interested, cost of one room for one night at hotel at Logan in Boston is over $200 and price to park a car at airport there is $32/day. Hilton offers a package that includes one room for one night and 8 days parking, it's about $250.

we are doing that for our upcoming trip to GC ONLY because it is just a one hour drive for us, not 4, only need one hotel room, whereas I think LSH needs 2, and we had enough FF miles to use for our airline tickets.

LSH
Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
622 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flights to GC

We really do not want to drive to Boston or JFK, pay for a room and pay to leave our car for a week (but the prices out of Boston to GCM are great - wish I was closer!). Right now I could do a two stop approximately 8 flight with US Air or fly JetBlue to JFK and transfer to Cayman Airlines for a 6 hour flight (outbound) for the same price. I am just worried about getting from terminal 5 (JetBlue) to terminal 1 (Cayman Airlines). Outbound I have 71 minutes between flights and return about 90 minutes. Has anyone done this and how quick/convenient is AirTrain really? Which would you do? Thank you all so much for your help. I really want to get this trip booked in the next few days.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman