We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15th GC vacation trip report

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
15th GC vacation trip report

Once again we spent 10 days on GC, and as for all previous trips stayed in the central SMB area. From what we garnered this past winter season has been unusual with a bit cooler temps, windier, and less tranquil water. During our tenure daytime temps were in the mid to high 80's (awesome!), we had no rain at all, and just a few days when waters were on the choppy side....nothing to thwart our total enjoyment in the sea.

We were happy to see how great the Marriot beachfront was. Sandier than anything we have seen sine 6 months post-Ivan with plenty of space for several rows of lounge chairs and the deletion of their seawall a HUGE plus!

New Beachcomber condominium just opened and is gorgeous! The manager gave me a tour of several 2 & 3 bed units awaiting furnishings. They also have several 4 bed units for rent which is a big asset for larger groups as there are few 4 bed condos available in the SMB area.

As always we dined at Casanova (3 dinners there in 10 days) and as always those were very excellent dinners. Totally loved our dinner at Luca. Meal was wonderful and our poolside table for 2 provided one of the best settings ever! A couple with a VERY well behaved 4-5 year old was seated nearby. If you have a child who behaves like this little gem, put Luca at the top of your list!

We bought bottled water at CostULess, along with some pre-packaged cold cuts that were excellent. Also some fresh berries, but for the most part purchased groceries at Foster's, and wine at Big Daddy's Buckingham Square.

Had not been to 24KMon (also in Buckingham Square)in a while and was very pleased and surprised at their extensive array including some really nice local art.

Travel via Miami definitely not something we shall race to repeat, but with no checked luggage could have been worse:)

Another thing we will probably not repeat is renting a car on GC thru Hertz. Have done this the past few years and always at a very good rate, but cars definitely not as well maintained as they ought be. Son did a rental (last minute) via Island Rentals (no airport location, located across from Westin, and will pick up and drop off at airport) that cost him less than we paid per day and the vehicle was better! Marshall's is also on our short list for renting a car as theirs seemed to be in good shape. We are not that picky, don't drive that much while there, but it sure was annoying to have a vehicle that took Hulk Hogan muscles to open the doors!

Only other downside was 2 families with oodles of out of control young kids whose parents felt since *they* were on vacation *they* were entitiled to scream, yell, race around willy-nilly as if NObody else was vacationing there! Hey, we raised 3 children who we always took on vacations from the time they were all very young. Ours always enjoyed wonderful, happy times without negative impact of screaming, yelling, running crazy to others where we stayed. Matter was addressed by management and improved somewhat. My guess is these families will not be welcome back:) Yes, condos on GC DO have "blacklists" for previous renters who are irrespectful to either property or other renters. So if you are spending the big bucks for a GC vacation rental, realize OTHERS are too.

To end on an upnote, we once again LOVED our relaxing beautiful late winter respite on this beautiful, gracious, friendly island and look forward to our next visit there:)

Granville, OH
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15th GC vacation trip report

Lovecayman, We must have been there at the same time as we also just returned. Thanks for the great report, sorry about the rowdy kids, we had a couple of kids at Lacovia who were carrying around a ball trying to kill the little lizards so being the big bully I am I told their father and never saw the ball on the premises again. Some parents are responsible others are not!

On the car rental we used Andy's and got a very clean almost new Suzuki XR7 that was perfect and they gave us a discount because we told them we had been referred by Lacovia. I think they would give anyone a discount thats not a day tripper. Welcome back to the cold!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15th GC vacation trip report

Loved your report. I know the feeling when we return to a favorite vacation spot AND the feeling when I return home, that I can't believe it's over. Did you find the sunscreen to still be cheaper at CostULess?

I thought your "blacklist" note was amusing. Over the years I could think of a few families who were probably put on the list!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 15th GC vacation trip report

Back to soon, Barbara! Glad you had yet another wonderful vacation.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15th GC vacation trip report

Did you have snow this morning??? I'm on the West Coast and loving all the flowers and greenery . . . could have cried when I heard about snow showers in NY this morning. Great report. Glad you liked Luca -- it really has been excellent each time we have been there, I think it is my husband's absolute favorite in the SMB area. Too bad about the misbehaved parents -- we had a similar experience a couple of trips ago where the children were running wild in Ragazzi -- the next night we went to Cafe Med and low and behold, the two families were there. The parents just sat there eating and drinking -- I feel almost sorry for the little ones, but sorrier for everyone else in the restaurants!

new hampshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 15th GC vacation trip report

Thanks for the great report lovecayman! We are very interested in your Beachcomber comments as we are checking in to a 3 br on April 19th. I was quite nervous with the opening delayed so close to our arrival, but it sounds good so far. Did you see renters/owners actually staying there yet? And any other info you could share? And can you tell me how close we are to the grocery store...can we actually walk with a bunch of bags back to the condo? We are not planning on renting a car, so the grocery walk is important. And we will walk to dinner most nights we hope. We love dining on the beach, so what do you think are the best options...we have 6 of us including 12 and 15 yr old kids. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15th GC vacation trip report

CostULess did not have sunscreen we were looking for, but Diver's Supply in WestShore did:)

ALSO, totally remiss of me not to mention the fabulous meals we enjoyed from Eduardo's! Per our usual, got take out from Eduardo's first night there as were too tired to sit at a table:) Returned a few nights later, and again before leaving. Eduardo's makes THE BEST mussels, also cooks fish dishes to perfection, and if you either do not like fish or prefer meat, cannot more highly recommend Veal Eduardo!

Met one family staying at new Beachcomber and suggested Eduardo's. They went there first night of their vacation time and immediately made reservations to return. Also met a couple staying at same condo place as we and the husband never eats fish. They had gone to Wharf and were quite disappointed. We suggested Eduardo's. Wife likes fish and loved it, Husband ordered Veal Eduardo and they also immediately booked a return dinner reservation for the night before their departure.

NOT that I want to be shut out of being able to dine at Eduardo's in the future due to incresaed popularity of the place, but it is such a fabulous place that I really think more people ought have on their short list for terrific dining!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15th GC vacation trip report

Beachcomber is beautiful and units outstanding! You will be directly across the street from Strand Shooping Center which is home to wonderful Foster's Grocery Store as well as a very nice Kirk's jewelery/gift store, a very good Chinese restaurant, Blackbeard's and Tortuga liquor stores, great coffee shop with fabulous pastries/ sandwiches, and more.

Met what was probably the first family to rent there. They had a 4 bed unit on the 2nd level and were loving it. ALL of the totally furnished units were occupied by renters as of a few days ago and the units that were not totally painted and/or furnished were in the process of completion. Cannot recall the name of the manager, but he gave me a personal tour of the property & is a wonderful man who is 100% commited to quality of providing and maintaining THE best for both residents and renters there. Another of the MANY true gems that come with spending vacation time on GC:)

Woory NOT, you are in for a terrific vacation there!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15th GC vacation trip report

Thank you so much for the awesome report! Glad to know that Cost U Less has the packaged cold cuts (I've never been a fan of what Fosters offers), so I'm looking for something new.

Eduardo's IS phenomenal. Their zuppa de pesce in white sauce (AND LOTS OF GARLIC) is amazing. And their pizza is amazing! Its pretty much a don't miss on our trips. Hmmm, never thought to do take out though! Great idea!

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15th GC vacation trip report

Appreciate your reports. After 15 years you seem to be in the know of what is a good time! GC offers the beautiful scenery, the ocean, the beach, and just enough other activities. Nice to read on others reviews and viewpoints on restaurants, shopping, car rentals, etc. With budgeting in mind it is always good to go loaded with some good advise.

Thank you and keep sharing!

10. Re: 15th GC vacation trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman