We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stingray

Ayr, Canada
Level Contributor
372 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Stingray

Has anyone gone out with Grand Cayman shore excursions. We are looking at the Buccaneer cat. Being first timer's to the Caymans we are looking quality honest tour company.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stingray

I'm not familiar with the Buccaneer cat but I can tell you that all of the licensed operators in Cayman are honest and safety conscious, so you don't have worry about that. Some of the more popular operators are Captain Marvin's, Captain Dexter's Fantasea Tours, Captain Bryan's and Red Sail, just to mentioon a few. There are many to choose from, I would only suggest that you pick an operator who carries the fewest passengers and plan your trip when there are no cruise masses there. Many posters here will recommend their favorites to you.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stingray

I believe the Buccaneer Catamaran trip is Captain Bran's outfit. Good operation!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stingray

It is a highly competitive business and is strictly regulated. Unlike some other destinations where you can get those who will rip you off, you won't find it in Cayman. I am not familiar with the op --- why did you choose them? Perhaps if you say what your main 3 objectives are, others can fill you in. Comfort, cost, time, multiple locations, single stop or day/half-day outing, number of guests, etc. Everything is relative -- but in general, if they have been in business in GC for any length of time, they have to be good. Check out stingraycity.org for some insight in the rays.

Ayr, Canada
Level Contributor
372 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stingray

Excellent and timely replies....ty

Yes the Buccaneer is under Capt Bryan or thats what the web page shows.

We are a very avid snorkel couple. We are looking to see the rays and one or two " reef " stops. As we are tied to the time of the cruise ship we will only have about 8 hours in port, but as first time visitors we are excited about being on this fantastic island.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stingray

If you are into snorkeling, try to get a trip that will take you to the Stingray City (dive site == 12 to 15ft) rather than Stingray City Sandbar where people stand around in knee deep water. The interaction at the dive site is much better and there are usually less people as many are not comfortable snorkeling!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stingray

I think no matter who you choose you will get what you're looking for- it depends on how much you want to spend,time of day you prefer, what you want from the tour and a crowded boat vs the less crowded.

We used Moby Dick Tours. They have morning tours, I think it was at 8:30 or 9:00?? & possibly afternoon tours as well, depending on how full the morning one is and also considering the ship schedules.

For our tour there were three Crew Members on board. I think it was a total of US$80 for my Fiance and I for the right around 3 hour excursion that first brought us to a snorkel area near a big reef and then turned us around over to the Stingrays(we did snorkeling first because the sandbar was already filled with other boats). People were using snorkel gear at the sandbar also, which was waist deep but at times can be deeper-they provide the gear if you have none. The boat wasn't crowded really, which was nice. They bussed people from the boat terminal and we called last minute and lucked out that we were able to be picked up at our Hotel by the owner as he would be driving by along with the bus. We had looked at a few other tours via pamphlets as well as Moby Dick, but also heard good things from a Family of 4 we talked with that had gone out with them. They also have a website for your viewing pleasure where you can find information about the tour, view photos and also payment methods etc etc.

http://www.mobydicktours.com/

We had a good experience using this Company and the others on the same tour seemed happy also.

Tampa
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stingray

Did you do the the Buccaneer tour & how was it - we are looking for Jan 2010 & they seem to promo well

8. Re: Stingray

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 06:31