We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
520 reviews
Save Topic
15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

Hi,

At EVERY place we ate, even Coconut Joe's (amazing ribs!), there is a 15 percent tip ALREADY on your bill! Just the practice in GCM. We are all for good tipping,and had great waitstaff, so that was fine...hmmmm,if the service was not so great,but it was not a worry.

Just info for everyone!

CC,

Cupcake

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

I know a lot of restaurants do this, but not all. It will say on the menu whether or not the tip is added. So please check and don't assume!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

Sue is spot on. Not every restaurant does it unlike some countries where it is automatic. Also some restaurants automatically add if the group is over a certain number. Sadly at many vacation locations, tourists figure they are not going to be eating there again, so who cares. The same is true with the staff on boats etc. There guys and gals work hard for a living, live in a country with a very high cost of living, have lower paying jobs (meant to be supplemented by tips), so always make sure you are covered. It is very easy to ask if service is included if you are not sure! If the service is off the charts, you can always add a little extra on!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

Good rule of thumb that anyone who is providing you a service: wait staff, tour operator, doorman, towel folks, etc...they all should be tipped. I always tip my bartender at the beginning of the night, and my housekeeping at the start of a stay. If I get poor service out of it - oh well. For the most part, folks appreciate that. I'm SURE there are folks that just eat and run - with no regard of how hard people work for them. What upsets me most is the folks on the tour boats. I'll tip 20% of what it cost me. I see folks/families of 4, 6, 8 get on and off - and not ever once leave a tip. I suppose it just doesn't occur to them.

My Dad was a real 'joker'. Last trip he and Mom took to the Keys, at a restaurant he put a 'pile' of twenty one dollar bills. He told their waitress (a young cutie pie) "See this? This is your tip. Every time you don't get something right...I'll pull a dollar away". ((My Dad was NOT a masochist...just like to play. He had that personality)). So the poor kid...she bent over backwards for them. The whole time Dad adding or taking a buck away from the pile. The girl loved it, and laughed - and had a good time for herself. By the time their dinner was over practically the entire waitstaff was 'in' on the whole joke with them - a good time had by all. My Dad then told her - "This was never your tip", and handed the kid $100 for being such a good sport.

TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

As of yesterday, My Bar at Sunset House does NOT include a gratuity. Please do not assume and always check.

We had a great lunch there.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
520 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

Hi,

Didn't say it is 'island wide', but it was added to all of the checks, for the places we ate, just info, no more. That is not a general practice in the USA, so wanted people to note it, as we do not look for that, so did not catch it, til we had been to two places to eat.

My Grandpa owned a Denny's, and I worked there,so you can bet we are Very generous tippers, and in GCM, we usually added to the tip they alrady had on the bill. Agree with Sherilnn, and generously tipped the guys on the Mody Dick Tour to Stingray City, bartenders, and even the lady who cleaned our condo before we got there.

Gratitiude is an attribute.

cc,

cupcake

Eastern Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

My ONLY beef with 15% being added on is when it is done at a buffet!

Your servers walks you to your table & takes your drink orders. For THAT, I do not feel that a 15% tip is necessary. And I feel "ripped off" when it is automatically added. Just my opinion.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

The servers at the buffets at the Westin as well as Sunshine Suites buffets (the only two I've been to on the island) really bust their humps with cleaning off your dirty plates, bringing you refresh on your beverages and/or taking your cocktail order, in a timely manner, with a smile on their face in the often in the heat and humidity - while wearing their nylon uniforms! Buffets are cheap; so 15% on an $18 meal - to me, is worth it.

If it wasn't a buffet, and they were to take your order, serve your food and clear your plate - is that worth 15%? Not much different, really IMO.

What would you be leaving if not 15% on an $18 buffet? 10%? $1.80? If so...I hope I never have to wait your table.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

The forum is not really the place to respond to another's opinion in a defensive or insulting manner.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

Kiddos -

I wasn't being insulting. I DID say - IMO = In my opinion. In other words, I was giving my opinion.

If anything, I was a bit insulted on behalf of the 'servers' who get stuck with the non-tippers, or folks that don't think what they do is 'worth' a tip.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 15 percent tip PRE added to your bill in GCM!

I'm glad cupcake brought it to people's attention that some places do incude 15% service charge. If you're not accustomed to it---good to know. I'm also glad others pointed out that not all places do it.

And I'm in agreement with kiddos(seems like I'm saying it alot lately) about the need to keep the forum a bit lighter in tone.

In my own case, I received an IM in regards to something I posted on here and even though the person doesn't realize(or care) they came off very condescending in tone and word to me. Maybe that's not the way they intended but...unless tripadvisor pulls a post or there is some malicious statement made against person or business, I see no reason the board can't remain open to all opinions. Okay off the soapbox! LOL