We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

philadelphia
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

Okay do most people just use US$ or do you convert to CI ? Can't remember if last trip the bill was in both CI and US $ or not. suggestions?

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

We just use US$ or credit cards. Receipts come with the conversion for you. You will however receive CI$ in change.

Walton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

Do businesses charge a fee for using credit cards? Those fees annoy me so I was planning on taking cash. I don't really want to travel with a bunch of cash and would prefer to use credit cards so if they don't charge fees....well I guess I will not take so much cash. :)

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

We usually only use Amex when we're away and haven't encountered any additional fees over the years. BUT since so many things are changing in the credit world, it might be different from just a few months ago. Sorry can't be more specific. Maybe someone else can offer specific details.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

While a bussines in Cayman won't charge you a fee for using a credit card, they may offer a discount for paying in cash. for example, Pure Art offers a 5% discount for cash.

If there are fees charged, it will be the credit card or assessing a "foreign conversion" fee.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

Credit card companies have started assessing an international conversion fee--however you don't see that until you get your bill. I just noticed it at citibank on a charge we made in the fall 2008 and then again in 2009. It was 3%.

We too just charge and don't trade in for CI dollars. Everyone bills you in either CI or US $

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

Lots of credit cards charge a 3% fee for foreign transactions now. My Fidelity AmEx doesn't, so I'll be using that card on our upcoming trip.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

Upon last return from GC in April when my bills came in I did notice credit card companies which did not previously charge a foreign transaction fee now do. That being said, I would much prefer to use the cards and pay the fee than travel with lots of dollars in cash.

US$ accepted everywhere on GC; you will get change in CI$.

Walton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

Yes I know most credit card companies charge the conversion fee. I use my credit union VISA which only charges 1%. My question was about the businesses though. I ran into this alot in Belize and Honduras. If you paid for something with a credit card they would add 3-5% to the total to cover THEIR fees for accepting cards.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

zinnia...no they won't charge you more for using a credit card.

10. Re: US Cash, Credit or convert to CI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 06:21