We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane and the Cayman Island

New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane and the Cayman Island

My boyfriend and I are spending a few days on Grand Cayman in August. We're also hoping to spend a few days on either Little Cayman or Cayman Brac, but I've read that these two islands are still in shambles following the hurricanes in 2008.

Has anyone been to either island recently...how bad is the damage? Perhaps I shouldn't go.

Thank you!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane and the Cayman Island

Here is an article from the local paper dated December 2008 discussing the damage. Sounds like it would be fine!

www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi…

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
596 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane and the Cayman Island

For visiting in August 2009 I'd suggest you choose Little Cayman to stay on, rather than Cayman Brac. Even though it's only a few miles away from "the Brac," "Little" was much less damaged by Hurricane Paloma in 2008, and quickly cleaned up and recovered after the storm. The previous post gives you a good website regarding the recovery of properties on "Little".

You may be able to get a boat to carry you from Little Cayman to do a "day trip" to Cayman Brac, and "the Brac" is worth a visit, but the Brac Reef Hotel doesn't plan to be fully reopened till the autumn (2009). For latest info on Cayman Brac hotels, take a look at the article:

www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi…

3. Re: Hurricane and the Cayman Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 05:18