We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back ... thanks for all the tips!

We just returned from a week's stay on Grand Cayman - we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sea Spray Cottage. Here's a very brief summary of our trip:

The trip was my wife and I and our 8 year old daughter. Our only previous visit was on a cruise ship, which only whetted our appetite for Cayman. Flew from Charlotte NC nonstop to GCM on Friday June 19; no issues with the flight, immigration, etc. Had a rental car and put over 300 miles on it in a week - we drove around the island quite a bit.

For beaches, we visited Cayman Kai public beach; Rum Point; Seven Mile Beach (next to Westin); Reef Resort on the east end; Beach Bay (very small area near where we stayed). All were nice, although Beach Bay had quite a bit of litter around it, which was disappointing.

We bought groceries for many meals to keep expenses down. For casual meals, we ate at Chicken! Chicken!; Eats Cafe; Margaritaville downtown; bar at Reef Resort on the east end; Aqua Beach. We did the Tuesday night buffet on the beach at Kaibo Bar & Grill - it was good, and the live band and 2-for-1 rum punch made for a very pleasant evening. We had one nice meal, at Luca - excellent filet mignon and mahi mahi. Followed that meal with a stop at Sapphire Lounge. We were fortunate to have a babysitter this night. We didn't have a bad meal the entire week.

We did a beautiful sunset cruise through Red Sail Sports. Visited the Butterfly Farm twice (didn't have to pay for the second visit) - had a tour the second time, which was very informative. Went to the Botanic Park but didn't see any blue iguanas. Stopped at Pirate's Caves, which wasn't much (as expected). Stopped briefly at Island Glassblowing Studio, but we were very hot after a short visit so we didn't stay long. Stopped at Hell, but it was "closed" since we got there late in the day (not a problem as it's not worth spending any amount of time in my opinion). We planned to see Barefoot Man perform Thursday night, but ran out of time and didn't make it back (to Reef Resort on east end).

Weather was hot (90F or so during the day; 80F or so at night), though about the same as North Carolina this time of year. Only saw a few drops of rain until our last night (Thursday June 25) when a thunderstorm lasted for hours, into the morning. Return trip home on the 26th was uneventful - though I was surprised they wanted us at the airport 2 1/2 hours before the flight (we got there about 2 hours prior) and were told they could deny boarding if we didn't get there at least one hour prior.

We hope to return soon. We didn't go to Stingray City. Many more restaurants to try! Many thanks to those on here that posted tips on things to do and see, places to eat, etc.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back ... thanks for all the tips!

very nice report, we go back in December for our 4th trip. Question, how much was the bbq at Kaibo and what were the times.

Thanks

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back ... thanks for all the tips!

6:00PM - 11:00PM Tuesday nights w/live band

$25 CI/$31.25 US

here is the menu:

http://www.kaibo.ky/menus/beach-bbq/

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back ... thanks for all the tips!

Thanks for posting a report! Get working on that next trip :)

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back ... thanks for all the tips!

Testudo is correct about the prices at Kaibo. The band played from about 6:00 - 9:00 pm. We got there right at 6:00 and left right at 9:00.

TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back ... thanks for all the tips!

When we were there in May, we were very under-impressed with the quantity and quality of food at the Tues Kaibo BarBQue for the price.

The band was great !

We weren't aware you could order off the "regular" menu on the beach as an option. I would recommend that... the view at sunset can't be beat.

Just my 2cents !

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back ... thanks for all the tips!

The food was decent, though it did seem that all the meats (fish, chicken, pork, and beef) were served with the same barbeque sauce - it was ok, just not much variety. For CI$25, it was a decent meal but the band and the setting was the primary draw for us. I'm pretty sure you could NOT order off the regular menu on the beach.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back ... thanks for all the tips!

I concur that the BBQ is more for atmosphere than gourmet food. I'll take a true BVI BBQ any day, but I do think for $25 CI it is not a bad deal. We have always (2x) been able to order from the regular downstairs dinner menu, as my wife agrees with escargot2's assessment of the food.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back ... thanks for all the tips!

When we went to the Kaibo BBQ over Christmas, we saw people ordering off the regular beach menu.

9. Re: Just got back ... thanks for all the tips!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 07:43