We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel or Condo? Please help.

Denver
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel or Condo? Please help.

Hi, I am still debating whether to go with hotel or condo. Since I have read a lot about how expensive it is to go out and eat there, I am leaning toward condo.

My choice of hotel is Grand Cayman Beach Suites and my choice for a condo is Treasure Island. Both are on 7 mile beach and both are about the same price. We will be renting a car. Does anybody have any better suggestion of a place to stay whether it's a hotel or a condo? 4 adults & 1 child (2 years old). Looking for something that is walking distance to places and a nice beach. Any help is appreciated.

I am going in September and read that average rainfall is 7 days. It usually doesn't rain all day there does it?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel or Condo? Please help.

With a group that size, and especially with a toddler, a condo is the only way to go. Yes, you will save money by having some meals, snacks and drinks at home but will also gain extra living space and a private patio or balcony. Ask for a first floor unit to avoid having to climb stairs any time you need something from the condo. You will find lots of availability in September. Check caymanvacations.com for a look at the complexes, rates and descriptions of the locations. Treasure Island would not be my choice. The units are nice but access into and out of the water is extremely rocky and difficult. If you want a central location, check some of the condos in the Central area of Seven Mile Beach. The beach is much nicer in that area and there a lots of condos to chose from. Rates might be a bit higher than Treasure Island but there will also be free night specials to be had and perhaps the possibility of negotiating the price since it is a very slow month. Also, since you will have a car, check into the properties in the Northern end of the beach. Rates are reasonable and most have lovely beaches. Unless there is a fall srorm or hurricane, the weather should be lovely. We visit for the first 2 weeks every September and have only had a full day of rain when a big storm was passing nearby.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel or Condo? Please help.

I would definitely do the condo thing. Much depends on how much you want to spend. We stayed at Lacovia a few times in a three bedroom walk out to the beach that was central to everything. That was before places like the Carib Club were finished so I cannot compare. We ended up purchasing at Britannia because we wanted to be away from the action, but within walking distance of the beach, restaurants and everything central SMB has to offer but with a quiet pool and balconies to chill on. GC is a great place to do the condo thing, there are many islands I would not make that choice on. Do some comparisons at caymanvacation.com, caymanvacations.com and cicondons.com. Our experience has been although rain is called for, it is sporadic and even if a passing shower hits you on the beach, it quickly blows over and if anything is refreshing!

Denver
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel or Condo? Please help.

Thank you much guys. I think I will go with the Condo option then. I will look for something centrally located on the SMB as suggested for the best beaches. I have no idea that you can bargain on the price. Can you do this with all places?

columbus,oh
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel or Condo? Please help.

If you are renting a car,I would stay at North SMB.

I would look at Christopher Columbus or Anchorage.

I don't care much for Central SMB,too crowded for my taste.We stay with kids every year and they love North SMB as well.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel or Condo? Please help.

I will add Discovery Point which is next door to Christopher Columbus Condos. Have stayed there 3 times and will return there next trip too. We rented thru www.journeyvillas.com

Each unit is individually owned, so deals depend on the owner. (Journey Villas does not represent all the 48 units).

A couple owners offered 1 free night when you paid for 5. Another offered the same deal but also included the hotel/gov tax in the price. It just depends on what's available for your dates.

No matter where you decide to stay don't hesitate to negotiate the price. Their economy is hurting too.

Don't worry about the rain. It's usually a passing shower.

Have a great trip!!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel or Condo? Please help.

In September there should be lots of offers. The rates are way below high season and there is often a free night thrown in or something else to sweeten the pot. You can also go to caymanislands.ky and look for specials and also they can be found at the Cayman Airways website. With regard to negotiating the prices, I have no experience. I will say that our unit is booked out for Christmas/New Year, Feb break week and Easter at the normal rates it gets for that time of the year. The summer season is much less and we have not had improvement this year in the low season, but the occupancy has not changed that much from last year. Hope this helps!

Denver
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel or Condo? Please help.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips everybody. I will try my best to get a good deal on that nice sandy beach. I'm looking at Aqua Bay at the moment since they have 2 nights free. Hope this all works! Thanks again.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel or Condo? Please help.

Aqua Bay is a nice property, and you're pretty close to the new expanded Fosters Grocery store in West Bay. I agree with everyone else, definitely a condo----so much more space and having a kitchen can't be beat, even if you don't want to do too much cooking. It's easy to do breakfast and lunch at the condo.

Denver
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel or Condo? Please help.

Thank you much everybody. I have decided on London House since they have a great special going on right now. 50% off regular price! Let's just hope the weather holds up...

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel or Condo? Please help.

FYI. I'm not sure if they have completed or when the plan is to complete the construction next door to the London House. Many guests do not seemed bothered or inconvenienced by it, but you may just want to ask the management at LH so you have all the facts before you go.