We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Reef Resort and their management

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
The Reef Resort and their management

My wife and I chose to go to The Reef for several reasons. The first being the incredible deal on the room, $79US per night. The second, the location was what we were looking for. Third, after reading countless reviews, it seemed as though the management was very interested in acknowledging a traveler who had a less than enjoyable experience. After spending a week at The Reef I realize that I was wrong about their concern for their guest's opinions of the resort. Our review was posted about three weeks now and we have had no response from the hotel management. There were small issues that, for the most part could be overlooked but what could not possibly be forgotten was the public humiliation we endured at the hands of the time share salesman. After the 3 days of badgering we put up with to sign the time share contract, we decided not to. At which time we asked if they wanted the special card key given to us, as potential owners that entitled us to a 10% discount at the resort. My wife was told "no, keep it and continue to use it". The next day, the salesman, Mr. Penn approached us while we were sitting at the bar, in the company of other guests, and requested the keys be returned. That was extremely humiliating. I had no problem with returning them, only it should have handled privately and not be made into a public spectacle. After discussing it with the sales director, we were promised "gifts" that we never saw

Several attempts had been made to get the resort management to acknowledge the incident since returning home, but none have been successful.

So if you decide to stay there, take my advice, if you are not interested in the time share, don't even bother listening to the pitch. It will be the most high pressure sales pitch you have ever heard and they want you to make a decision right then. That is not conducive to the total relaxation they try so hard to encourage.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: The Reef Resort and their management

Wow, How cranky can you get? This is your vacation. Take control of it. If you don't want to be bugged by time share people, learn to say no. Grand Cayman is probably one of the greatest places you can go. I'm sorry for your part that you had a bad time. I've never heard of anyone having such a bad time on their trip.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: The Reef Resort and their management

Because someone sent me a message and just for clarification purposes........when I said I lied, I was referring to the "size 8, thighs like a 20 year old" thing......definitely NOT the comments about the timeshare concerns....that was sincere. I am, however, hanging on to those size 8's because I'm sure that any day now I'll loose 20 lbs......I'll even give it a week.

Celine

Whitehouse, Texas
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: The Reef Resort and their management

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I agree that it sounds awful.

I have to ask, while the management apology was certainly not effusive, what exactly is it that you want from them?

Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: The Reef Resort and their management

I know this thread is a few months old, but I had to share my thoughts on this one. The Reef Resort will always hold a special place in my heart....and we've never even stayed there! We decided to get married in Grand Cayman earlier this year and had rented an apartment in a private home about a 15 minute walk down the beach. We attended a timeshare presentation for both The Reef (45 min)and Morritts (hours, but seemed like days). It was like walking from Heaven to Hell, separated by just a few yards of sand. The gruesome twosome tag team from Morritts humiliated me to the point of tears. I felt like they were going to whip out their bamboo shoots to shove under my fingernails any minute. The salesman at The Reef, Paul, put a smile back on my face. He gave us gifts over and above what was advertised, he invited us to use the resort as if we were staying there and he was as low pressure and laid back as he could be without slipping into a coma.

I also met and spoke with TomCayman and got the impression he is a truly honest and decent man who cares very deeply for his employees and his clients.

We even came up to the resort on the night we got married and Andrew Bacon (entertainer) slanted his show towards us - sort of like a little reception since we tied the knot on the beach and didn't have an "official" one. Every staff member we came into contact with was very friendly and helpful - and again I mention - we weren't even resort guests.

I'm really sorry you had a bad experience and I know it doesn't make you feel any better to read my positive one. Hopefully there have just been a few isolated incidents of these high pressure tactics and they will be nipped in the bud. Best wishes for your next vacation - hope it will be all you want it to be! :)

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: The Reef Resort and their management

Thanks, Jackie!

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: The Reef Resort and their management

Jackie.. I certainly remember you and SO glad you had such a great vacation.

As to your kind words.. just to say.. thank you.. am speechless

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: The Reef Resort and their management

Just returned from 3 wonderful weeks at the Reef Resort........could'nt

agree with you more Jackie..........Cheers!

michgirl08
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: The Reef Resort and their management

We are at the Reef now. We did attend a presentation on Wednesday. We decided to waive the free gift. We sat with Mr Penn and he explained everything very clearly to us and answered all of our questions even after we explained to him that we are management a timeshare resort ourselves. We left when we wanted to leave and he was very professional. At some point, we will own more weeks. We own at the resort that we run and eventually, we will own here. There is nothing negative that we can say at all about this resort and the prices are fantastic!

Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: The Reef Resort and their management

Tom - I don't believe it - you are NEVER speechless. ;>) You are however, very welcome. Every word I wrote was sincere, and it is "I" who thank "you" and all your dedicated staff. The Reef was a big part of why our vacation was so special when we were on the island, and Sue's endless advice was a big part of the successful planning beforehand.

In all aspects, our trip to GC will be one of our most treasured memories.

Our best wishes to all of you for a very Merry Christmas, and a safe and Happy New year!

Edited: 22 December 2009, 15:55
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: The Reef Resort and their management

Ok, I have to stick my 2 cents in. I've never stayed at the Reef, looked very nice when we wlaked around. That being said, I have sat thru a couple of timeshare presentations in my day. They all were terrible and full of high pressure. Once we even bought one and cancelled 10 minutes after we said yeas.

Anyway it happens, get over it I really don't know how humiliated you could have been. You are on vacation, you don't like what someone says, ignore it. Also for $79/night there isn't too much room for complaining. As long as the room was clean and you felt safe, chances are you won't find much for that price.