We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

What are the daily local restaurant "specials" and what roadside/off the beaten path/ "local" places are there.? WE LOVE LOVE LOVE those type fares......

when we were in GC before a local tour guide heard us talking about turtle stew on a Friday and asked if we wanted to try the local touch and dropped us off out of the main hub of Georgetown (could it be Appleton Estate?)

What is the response about Miss Vivian's?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

Here is a link to Cayman Good Taste with a list of local restaurants. They are all pretty good and very reasonably priced. Miss Vivene's is popular with locals, but it's a long way to drive from the Grand Caymanian!

caymangoodtaste.com/…

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,655 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

Here's a link to listing of various specials at bars and restaurants.

http://www.ecayonline.com/5pm.asp

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

Thanks. We plan at least one day trip "out of the city" to the East end area. We live in a VERY rural area and are accustomed to driving 20-25+miles to a restaurant etc. Thanks for the tip!

we'll keep researching too.

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

Here are a few tasty local eateries to check out (around the George Town area):

Champion House 2, at 43 Eastern Avenue near the Shedden Road intersection. They do a good lunch buffet.

Luz, in Pasadora Place at 94A Smith Road near the Hospital Road intersection. Always popular for lunch, several selections of local and Honduran fare.

Mango Tree, at 518 Shedden Road near the Dorcy Drive - Shedden Road round-about i.e. near the end of the airport runway.

Country & Western (if my memory serves me right, that's the one with the "Appleton Estate" painting on the outside), at 955 Crewe Road across from First Baptist Church and just past the Lions Centre.

For each of these I'm more familiar with their mid-week lunches, so if you'd prefer to go there in the evening or weekends you can give them a call to confirm their service hours. Champion House 2 does dinner for sure, and excellent Caribbean type breakfasts as well.

TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

I would highly recommend "Over the Edge" for an East End area excursion.

The view can not be better and the Fried Lobster (not fried as we think of it ) or the Caesar Salad with Grilled Shrimp are very tasty !

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

Thank you...

CayMaTA we found a picture we took of the restaurant and with the help of a magnifying glass could read the

"appleton estates" to find out in doing some reasearch that this is not the name of the restaurant but the name of a "rum?" company? So researching that name for the restaurant came up empty.

Your addresses will help .....and we can now further investigate.

Thank you all!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

Appleton is mighty good rum!

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

North Side Sue----good to know, can't WAIT to try...!!!!

See we are LEARnING with the help of you wonderful friends!!!

san jose
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

Hi all experts

Any recommendations for good local food on the North side near Rum point area which is not too pricey?

I am looking to go to where locals eat!

Is Over the Edge still nice, I saw some not to flattering reviews about it? Also, where is it actually located?

Thanks again!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,655 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local eateries/local food/ weekly specials

PURPLESCOUT7,

South Coast Bar and Grill in Breakers has an Appleton Estate mural painted on their front, not sure if that is where you previously ate. There is also a an establishment I saw just outside of Grand Harbour (I think) that also has a mural. Couldn't see the actual name of the place though.

love-beaches83,

Over the Edge is in Old Man Bay about 5-10 minutes from Rum Point. It is not fancy and I always get the fresh fish. My philosophy is akin to "when in Rome" and try to order whatever is fresh and a specialty. Don't expect gourmet, but just good cooking and you'll be fine.

Driftwoods (right at the boarder of Cayman Kai and North Side) is now open and serving food. Didn't get to try it last trip but I'm sure North Side Sue can fill you in on what they offer. Certain days there is also a fish fry and other special pre-ordered requests filled by a woman in Old Man Bay. Again NSS may be able to provide details.