We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to ship dive gear down to GC

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I want to ship dive gear down to GC

I would prefer to ship fins masks etc instead of checking that way I can just do carry on. Is there some where on GC that will accept a package for me? Will be staying on the North side for a week but anywhere on island would be fine.

Thanks,

B.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want to ship dive gear down to GC

Sorry I can't help you--but have you checked into the cost of shipping? I know someone who shipped a sign back home from GC and it cost quite a bit. You'd also have to make sure it got there in time for your arrival. Mail can take a very long time, unless you do some special type of delivery service.

Shelly :-)

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want to ship dive gear down to GC

We considered doing it (I have friends that ship their ski equipment to France every year where FEDEX delivers them to the ski resort which is set up to accept them). We have bcd's, suits, regs, etc, in addition to mask and fins. It wasn't feasible. Even though we had friends who we could ship to in GC, it still had to go through customs and be picked up which wasn't fair to ask someone to take time off to do. In addition snail mail takes on a whole new meaning there. Picking up checked bags in GC is a breeze (cannot comment on Chicago). If you really want to get away with just carryon, rent fins where you get there and pack your mask!

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>¸.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want to ship dive gear down to GC

Another possible option is to check the bags to GC since baggage claim waiting time there is really only minutes and then ship them (mail, FedEx) back to your home address. This way you know you'll have them for your arrival and if it takes a long time to get back home, who cares.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I want to ship dive gear down to GC

I have no concerns with picking up checked bags in the GC airport. I do have concerns with the Miami airport getting them from 1 plane to another. We usually always ship our gear. We were in STJ last year and it worked well. Of course the USPS goes to STJ so that was helpful and our villa rental agent was able to receive the package. I was hoping there was the equivalent of a UPS store or FedEx Kinkos that could help me on GC.

Thanks,

B.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want to ship dive gear down to GC

You may want to try calling the local FedEx office on GC and check to see what, if any, services they offer that may help.

Tel: (345) 949-5911

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I want to ship dive gear down to GC

St. John is American not a foreign country so there is no issue with customs!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I want to ship dive gear down to GC

Are there now Advertisements contained within posts? I just switched to Google's Chrome browser and noticed what seemed to be space from a blocked Ad. The post is a lot bigger than it needed to be and there is a notation for an Ad. I usually browse on Fire Fox with Ad Block and haven't seen any sort of thing like it. Guess you gotta pay the bills somehow...posting here since I figure starting a new topic will just get it deleted faster.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I want to ship dive gear down to GC

Testudo, YES there are now ads in the middle of the forums. Understandable it's needed for revenu; annoying to me :)

9. Re: I want to ship dive gear down to GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 05:18