We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotel is better...Marriot or Ritz?

New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hotel is better...Marriot or Ritz?

Hi- My boyfriend and I vacationed in Grand Cayman this past summer. We stayed at The Marriott Grand Cayman and loved it. The rooms were a decent size, the breakfast selection was lovely and the beach was super nice (artificial reefs for snorkeling, and lounge chairs w/ umbrellas, etc).

I'm planning a return trip for March 2010 and can't decide if we should stay at the Marriott again or try the Ritz. I wouldn't mind trying a new location, but I don't want to be disappointed if we stay at the Ritz.

Suggestions or feedback?

Thank you!

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hotel is better...Marriot or Ritz?

Be prepared for the crazy high prices at the Ritz. EVERYTHING is higher at the Ritz. Personally, I would choose the Marriott or the Westin over the Ritz. Check out the restaurant menus at the Ritz and that will give you an idea of their prices. I know their drink prices were higher than most.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotel is better...Marriot or Ritz?

Ritz is definitely superior in almost every regard. It's not extremely expensive but for the island it is pricey. Coming from any city and it won't be a surprise. The rooms at the Ritz are clearly furnished to a higher level and the service is also a step above

If you do pick the Ritz, stay on the Ocean side of the resort and try to book an Ocean View, these are great rooms with an amazing view and the beach is just downstairs. I think the Ritz has one of the best sections of beach but be sure to try their day beds, $75 I think and you get to lie in comfort under cover, if you wish.

Anything specific you want to know just ask

New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hotel is better...Marriot or Ritz?

Thank you both for the helpful information. Will let you know what I decide.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,740 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hotel is better...Marriot or Ritz?

The Ritz Carlton brand is more upscale than the Marriott. Also the RC in GC is much newer and bigger. The brand was created to give exceptional service at prices that were affordable to a broader spectrum unlike perhaps a boutique hotel or a chain like the Four Seasons. That said, the one in GC is a very large facility built on a beachfront that once serviced a much smaller hotel. Personally I think the property is too big for its waterfront and therefore it is not my cup of tea. It does cater to many corporate groups and comped guests (although that may have eased in today's economy) so the beach/pool can be crowded at certain times as it does need to fill all those rooms. I am guessing that perhaps you have Starwood points since you didn't mention the Westin or Beachsuites. If you can get a room on the beach try the RC. I doubt you will be disappointed, and if you are staying on points a few extra dollars for meals and drinks shouldn't be a problem. Since there are so many excellent restaurant choices you aren't forced to use theirs anyway. Hope this helps.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hotel is better...Marriot or Ritz?

If you're looking for 'different', try the Westin. Though the Marriott has had more recent upgrades, I found it to be a 'step up' with regard to service and definately with regard to the beach!!

6. Re: Which Hotel is better...Marriot or Ritz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman