We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprised about crime on Grand Cayman

new jersey
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Surprised about crime on Grand Cayman

after spending 6 days at the ritz i was surprised to hear about a rising crime rate in GC. while returning from Georgetown by cab we noticed a street closed by police. the cab driver informed us that a police officer was shot that night, and a man was killed in a popular nightclub while many people partied a few nights before that. this was quite a shock as i've read that GC was a very safe island! the driver begged to differ and told me it's more dangerous than we hear. this is due to these stories never making it to us which would hurt their tourism dollars.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprised about crime on Grand Cayman

Everything is relative. Voilent crime has increased in Grand Cayman -- there is no doubt of that at all. However, compare it with other locations and you will see that overall it is a safe island. While no crime is acceptable, so far the crime in Cayman seems to be pretty much between individuals known to each other rather than toward visitors. I certainly don't know about "crime" stats in Mexico, St. Thomas, Jamaica to name just a couple of places, but I don't think anyone is holding them back. Heck we don't hear about most of the crimes in my own state and that has nothing to do with tourist dollars. I am in no way making light of the increase in crime, but think that it needs to be put into perspective. Go to Nationmaster.com and look at actual crime stats. You will see where Cayman ranks in an unbiased source. Hopefully it will never compare to headlines like 12% of all Dominicans affected by violent crime. It is a shame your holiday was marred, sadly bad people exist everywhere! Also reading local newspapers is a great source of what is going on and how it is being dealt with. Overall I don't think that "world news" in the States covers too much of anything that does not affect us directly!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprised about crime on Grand Cayman

Unfortunate fact of life - the CI are a stopover point on the North/South contraband route and various local and external nefarious parties do seem to operate with relative impunity. The stories are all well covered by the various Cayman news agencies. Thankfully, at least up until now no tourists have been directly affected. That is the main reason that many in North America or the UK may not hear about the specific incidents.

Not to downplay it, but for reporting accuracy the officers were "shot at" and not actually shot. While there has been a dramatic increase in serious crimes, the RCIP does at least publish statistics on their website for all to look at:

http://www.rcips.ky/crime_statistics.htm

http://www.rcips.ky/news_releases.htm

Overall the CI are still one of the safest inhabited islands in the Caribbean. Hopefully other than the detour inconvenience your holiday was not beset with any other negative occurrences and you were able to have an enjoyable time.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprised about crime on Grand Cayman

Having been to all the locations that Retrip mentions I think GC has a much lower incidence of tourist related crimes than most Caribbean destinations. Crimes like pickpocket, scams, robberies etc occur much more frequently at other places.

B.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprised about crime on Grand Cayman

Crime is increasing everywhere. It's been a few years, but we found GC to be very safe, much safer than other places we've been to.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprised about crime on Grand Cayman

The nightclub (Next Level, now closed) shooting was a complicated situation. It involved drug deals and police informants, there was also a retribution attack shortly afterwards. Although crime is increasing, it really is a safe island. West Bay might be a bit more dangerous than the other districts but from most peoples point of view, we're still quite well off.

A more contentious issue would be the all too common cover ups by the media here. For a few days after said shooting, the story was not even the lead article on some websites. Best to be open about it so everyone knows whats going on

NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surprised about crime on Grand Cayman

Didn't the Cayman Islands start as some sort of pirate hideout or something like that for smugglers?

Can't be as bad as it used to be..

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surprised about crime on Grand Cayman

Far being a pirate hide out or place for criminals, the early settlers of Cayman apparently showed the same wonderful friendliness and generosity to visitors that they do today. Here is a little snippet.

"One of the most told stories in the islands history is the story of "The Wreck of the Ten Sails". Legend says that one night in November, 1788, the "Cordelia", the lead ship of a convoy of merchant ships bound from Jamaica to Britain ran aground on the reef at East End. A signal was given off to warn off the other ships, but was misunderstood as a call to follow closer and nine more ships sailed onto the reef. The people of East End are reported to have shown great heroism in ensuring that no lives were lost and legend further states that one of the lives saved was one of royalty. For this, King George III is said to have granted the islands freedom from conscription, while another report claims that freedom from taxation was bestowed on the people of the islands as a reward. Actual records do not support this story entirely"

Each Carib island like every other country in the world has its own unique history. The Cayman Islands have one that shows courage, honesty and goodwill toward their fellow man!

8. Re: Surprised about crime on Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 05:16