We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Moon Bay

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Half Moon Bay

I have been to GCM 10 times now and am looking for a few new spots to snorkel from shore.

So far i plan to visit queens monument and Turtle Reef. I have also seen mention of half moon bay.

Does anyone know anything about it or how to get there?

My usual spots are Cemetery, Smiths Cove sunset house, out past the turtle grass near bodden town and Rum Point.

Any info on Half moon bay or other hidden spots would be most appreciated.

Thanks all!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half Moon Bay

Have not done Half Moon Bay, but fwiw recall reading there is not much coral there. If you are going to Queen's Monument (my favorite) and feel adventurous and are not uncomfortable with depth, try going all the way out to the Babylon Reef wall; in front of and slightly West of the Northern Lights condo. Also nearby is Anchor Point (the point looking east from Queen's monument). I was only able to jump in for a quick once around there (wife had her snorkeling fill at QM), but it looked promising and I'll be exploring it more thoroughly next trip, weather permitting.

If you haven't found the boulder coral garden near the reef at Rum Point it is also very good.

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half Moon Bay

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check out those spots and look for the boulder garden at rum point

I just found the old topic about half moon bay and there was good info but i couldnt get the link to work or find it on goodle earth so if anyone can direct me there it would be great.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Half Moon Bay

Here is the link to the Cayman Atlas:

caymanlandinfo.ky/Portals/…gcindex.html

Half Moon Bay is on page 77, between Frank sound Road and East End. No reef there, so entry into the water could be a problem.

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half Moon Bay

Thanks so much for atlas.

I think that will help.

do you know if the snorkeling is in the smaller or larger of the two small bays shown?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Half Moon Bay

From the description on this link, I think the smaller one.

divecayman.ky/sites/snorkelling_sites_grand.…

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half Moon Bay

To plan your trip to Half Moon Bay, keep an eye on the weather especially the wind direction and strength. There is no "barrier reef" offshore from that location, so unless the wind is either calm/light or more northerly than normal (the prevailing wind is East-NorthEast) there might be a significant swell and wave action in the Half Moon Bay area as it's near the eastern end of the island on the south coast.

But if the waves coming ashore there are so strong they end up making you postpone your snorkeling trip, just drive about half a mile further east along Sea View Road and you'll get to see the blow holes in action! They are along the shoreline in White Sand Bay - see map page 79.

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half Moon Bay

Thanks all! much appreciated.

Alex

8. Re: Half Moon Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2010, 05:20