We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

Long Island
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

Has anyone flown in or out of Grand Cayman since Christmas? Can you tell us if any in flight changes were experienced because of security precautions? I'm interested in Cayman Airways in particular.

Flying in next week for our second visit.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

From the Caymanian Compass:

www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi…

Heightened security at airport

Saturday 26th December, 2009 Posted: 16:06 CIT (21:06 GMT)

Holiday travellers leaving Grand Cayman on flights to or through the United States should plan on arriving a minimum of three hours before their flights because of increased security measures.

The Cayman Islands Airports Authority said the measures were made in response to heightened security requirements from the US Transportation Security Administration following the alleged attempted terrorist attack on a flight bound for Detroit, Michigan on Christmas day.

The directive is expected to remain in place until at least Wednesday 30 December.

“Airlines at the Owen Roberts International Airport have implemented increased security checks which will require that passengers, on flights to the USA, be hand searched at the boarding gates prior to boarding,” Cayman’s Airports Authority said in a statement on Saturday. “In order to accommodate these additional measures and to avoid delays, passengers are encouraged to arrive at the airport and commence their check–in processes earlier than usual.

“A minimum of three hours before flight departure time is recommended.”

The heighted security measures will not apply to passengers on flights bound for Cayman’s Sister Islands, Jamaica, Cuba, the UK or Honduras.

US–bound airlines have been asked to encourage passengers to proceed to the security check point immediately after check–in to allow for the extra time that will be required for boarding calls.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

I am headed to GC tomorrow on Cayman Airways. Will report my experience at O'Hare and in Cayman.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

Our flight out of Ohare on Dec 27th was delayed by a couple of hours because of security in GC. The airplane from GC didnt arrive in Chicago on time. The lady at Cayman Airways said that it was due to security NOT the weather. So I am guessing it is taking extra time to get through security in GC. Nothing extra was noticeable in Chicago...lines were still the same, etc.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

Friends(repeat visitors) who have left GC(flew Usair) in the past few days thought they noticed people being made to condense 2 carryons into 1 at the airport before boarding when they got searched again. They only had 1 so it didn't happen to them but noticed alot of scrambling by other people. Specifically women being made to put their purses into the carryon luggage. They also said there were not enough people manning the security areas which accounted for another delay.

Separate: My daughter traveled to Detroit on Saturday night and had nothing extra happening at airport or on plane. She wasn't made to put anything away during the last hour nor restrictred from using restroom.

Long Island
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

Thanks for the input from everyone. The number of carry-ons will be of particular interest because of laptop and handbag. Keep the information coming!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

Left from Owen Roberts Airport on Sunday flying on Delta to New York via Atlanta and experienced the following:

Arrived 3 hours earlier than the scheduled flight on Delta as recommended by the airport authority and insisted upon by my better half.

Delta baggage check-in was about 20 minutes. A Delta employee came through the line attaching "carry-on" stickers to any items including handbags or personal items to be carried on.

Security screening now makes you remove your shoes and run them under the x-ray machine with your carry-ons. They will pat you down if wearing bulky clothing or if they notice something in your pockets. I had to remove my wallet and get it hand inspected. Total security time was 3 minutes.

Immigration: No changes 2 minutes.

There is now a mandatory hand check of all carry-ons and pat down of all customers after entering the gate area, prior to actually boarding. Security will open all pieces of carry-on check through them. They will also pat you down. Took about 5 minutes.

At least on Delta we were still allowed 1 carry-on and small personal item. No need to place personal items in larger luggage.

So unless the airport is crowded/busy it doesn't seem from this experience that the added security measures add much time to the check-in - boarding process.

Edited: 04 January 2010, 18:07
Long Island
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

Thanks so much for your detailed post. It was very helpful. Hopefully everything will continue to be easy and safe.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

The problem is the contradictory reports/statements that come out so it leaves us all really guessing. Just today in the local news--www.caymannetnews.com-- an official suggests people arrive a 'minimum' of 3 hrs before flight departure. It's mentioned there are numerous changes that went into effect.

I did read Usair's site today and so far the only passengers that are being restricted on carryons are flights out of Canada. They are allowed 1 carryon provided it's a small purse, laptop or necessity such as cane. Of course everyone should check their respective airline to find out exactly what's allowed in case things change daily.

9. Re: Security on flights in/out of Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 05:17