We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morritt's

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Morritt's

We are doing an RCI timeshare exchange to Morritt's Tortuga Club in March, and are a bit (OK, MORE than a bit :) ) confused re: "Morritt's" Some writing reviews of Morritt's Tortuga talk about "enjoying the pool at the Grand", etc. Does anyone know if we are staying at the Morritt's Tortuga Club, does that mean we can also use the faciltities at the Grand? How far apart are they? We've also seen something about "Morritt's Seaside"--is that in the same area, also?? Sorry for all the questions (and I'm sure there will be MANY more!! :) Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morritt's

If some the Morritts regulars don't have a chance to respond, you can also try asking on the Morritts forum here:

morritts.17.forumer.com/viewforum.php…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Morritt's

Morritt's Torguga (Seaside is part of that) and Morritt's Grand both have use of all of the facilities, including Mimi's Bar and Davids Restaurant. There are three pools, the infinity pool in front of the Grand, the premier pool, which is surrounded by Tortuga units and the park pool, which is quieter, and also is surrounded by other Tortuga units. They are all very close to all of the buildings and used by all.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morritt's

Testudo,

Thank you for that information--didn't realize there was a "Morrit's" forum--I've "registered" on that one, but have to wait to be approved before I can post anything there--thanks again for replying so quickly!

Ralph/Barb

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morritt's

TexasNoni,

Thanks for clearing that up for us. Have you stayed at the Morritt's Tortuga? We've just started looking into the reviews, etc. (we'll be going there in March with our two grandchildren, 12 and 11) and they are very "mixed"--some loving it and some hating it--at this point we're very nervous about it all--so hoping to gather as much information as we can about what to expect when we get there.

Thanks again for replyiing so quickly,

Ralph/Barb

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Morritt's

We purchased a 2 BR Townhouse at Tortuga in 2000/2001. We upgraded to a 2 BR Penthouse in 2004 the month before Ivan hit. When we had the opportunity to transition into the new concrete strutured Seaside after Ivan, we did. We have now a 2BR Penthouse with a loft, so it is very roomy. We took our grandchildren and their parents in the earliers years and then just the grandkids every other year with the off year reserved for friends. That didn't last long. The grandkids, now 15 + and 11 go every year. The 15 year old is a scuba diver and the 11 year old is presently my beach/poolmate. They love it. The whole resort is very family friendly. I think this year will be the 7th of 8th time the grandkids have gone with us. They love it and feel at home there. By the way, the 15 year old is now my husbands dive buddy.

Like any resorts, people have different expectations. Morritt's is not perfect, but it comes very close. Any maintenance problems or internet problems we have had are quickly addressed.

We will be in Cayman the middle of June, 2010. The airfare for the 4 of us out of Houston is the highest it's very been, but once we get there, it's worth it.

Warts and all, we ( and the grandkids) love the place. I'm sure you will, too.

Edited: 15 January 2010, 04:38
Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morritt's

We are leaving this Sunday Jan 17 for our week's stay at Morritt's. We exchanged thru RCI last year and bought a l bedroom Tortuga unit because we fell in love with the place. Now we can't wait to return.

Each of the areas of Morritts have a different name - Tortuga area are the older, wooden structures, Seaside & Grand are facing the water and are concrete. Everyone uses the same facilities, pools, restaurants, etc. The Tortuga buildings are VERY nice, don't be misled. We were in a studio last year and I thought it was one of the nicer places we have been able to use an RCI exchange at. We went to Antigua last July and the studio unit there was just awful. Morritts' grounds are beautiful and the staff is great.

Just be aware that you are 45 minutes on the other side of the island, but in a way, that is what makes the place unique. You need to rent a car and enjoy the drive there. We plan to spend 2 or 3 days going to the other areas of the island so my husband can shore dive. And Rum Point is about 20 minutes away and it is NOT to be missed - absolutely a beautiful place the the restaurant there was outstanding.

If you are divers, the Tortuga Dive Shop is right in the middle of the resort.

Also be aware that Morritts is right next door to The Reef Resort, which is also a very nice timeshare resort and you can walk over there to eat or drink or use the pool if you want. You may want to look at The Reef's website for a little idea about them as well www.thereef.com

If you have not been to Grand Cayman, it is VERY expensive, so on this trip, I am packing a suitcase of food so that we only have to eat out 3 or 4 times. I am also packing my own bottle of rum as we were shocked how much rum costs compared to the other Caribbean islands.

We have traveled to a majority of the Caribbean islands and Grand Cayman is VERY modern and very clean and friendly. We always keep an open mind when we arrive somewhere, but we do extensive research ahead of time too and look at our locations on Google Earth.

If you need to know anything else, ask before Sunday morning!

Edited: 15 January 2010, 22:57
Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
603 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morritt's

You can also check out the many activities on offer at Morritt's and The Reef (next door) on the web at:

morritts.com/Page06_Weekly_Activities_Schedu…

and

www.morritts.com/Page30_Turtle_Times.htm

and

www.thereef.com/en/thingsToDo/index.html

and

thereef.com/en/…entertainmentSchedule.html

"The Barefoot Man" who entertains Tue & Thu nights at The Reef is a locally famous witty song-writer and performer. His CDs are sold in retail outlets all over the island.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morritt's

CayManTA ,

Thanks for those websites--very helpful! To all--thanks for the posts/information! Some of the reviews on Trip Advisor were SO scathing we were getting really concerned/nervous about our March trip. The reassuring messages, particularly from Morritt's owners, have helped a great deal in calming our fears! The websites/information provided have really helped with our planning for the trip, too--by all means feel free to keep the information coming! :) The more we know, the better prepared we'll be!

Ralph/Barb, and Kayla(12) and Tyler (11)

9. Re: Morritt's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 06:22