We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Trip Recommendations

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Topic
Dolphin Trip Recommendations

Wondering if anyone could recommend a dolphin tour. We've been on the ones where you find a dolphin pod in the boat and follow it close, but more interested in a chance to interact more closely.

Is there anything like that on GC?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin Trip Recommendations

The only dolphins in Cayman are captive.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin Trip Recommendations

http://www.dolphincove.ky/

I suggest if you're interested in one of the packages that you book prior to arrival. They only run it 4x a day and if there are cruise ships in port, I imagine it'll be very crowded. We did it last year and while I'll sit it out next time(just because once was enough :), the rest of the family wants to do it again. They had alot of fun. They'll take photos and a video of your encounter which can be bought at the end. I think they offer a discount if you prepay for things online. It's across the street from Boatswain Beach/Turtle Farm and some times they include a free pass to part of it. It's worth inquiring if that's of interest to you too.

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin Trip Recommendations

we just did the ultimate swim through Dolphin Cove. Way worth it and they will interact with you a lot! Great place

PA
Level Contributor
880 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin Trip Recommendations

I have always wanted to do this, but saw a video of my friends doing it in Mexico. It didn't look too exciting. They each pet the dolphin for less than a minute, then the dolphin came up from behind them and took them for about a 15 second ride. Is that what this is, or is there more interaction?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin Trip Recommendations

Just came back from a fishing trip in the Florida Keys where we caught few fish but had an awesome time with dolphin pods both days! There is nothing like that in Cayman. However if you want a special interaction with marine animals, go to Stingray City. The dive site is a great option for people who enjoy snorkeling/diving (12 to 15 ft) and the Sandbar is great for those who want to walk around a look down at the rays (3 to 4 ft). They are free to come and go and it is a great experience!!!

I must admit if it hadn't been so cold, I would have been off the back of the fishing boat in seconds to hang out with those we saw in Fla. Dolphins are not native to the waters around Cayman although on rare occasions some do pass by. Good luck!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphin Trip Recommendations

nuttyone, it's more than just petting a dolphin. There are a few packages to choose. We did a basic one(non-swimmers and children) and also another one with more interaction. First we watched a video then all proceeded to the same area for dolphin time. A rough guess was 30 minutes in the water. We weren't doing something the whole time because each person in the group also did their portion of the package but the staff was very involved with us and it was fun. The dolphins come up to each person I think a kiss was given and photo taken. After whichever 'thing' you chose to do, everyone was invited into the water and did 'dancing' and spins with the dolphins. I will add that when one of the dolphins didn't want to do it, no one forced her but just let her go off and another dolphin was brought over. I would think the package portion would state what's included--memory's not exact on what we did. The rest of my group want to do it again in the summer but try another one of the packages. We were in a group of 5 with 4 being from my family. After the interactive part, you head back to view the video that can be purchased. There is a snack bar, lockers and bathrooms available for use.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphin Trip Recommendations

The "Encounter" package includes: Waist deep water, pet the dolphin, kiss the dolphin, handshake with the dolphin and a dance; $119.

The "Swim" package includes: Pet and swim with the dolphin, a kiss and a belly ride with the dolphin; $139.

The "Ultimate" package includes: Pet, kiss, dorsal pull and foot push in addition to the swim package; $159.

Honestly - you can do this on any island in the caribbean. You can't beat stingray city, and swimming with those animals in their 'natural' habitat. They are free to come and go as they please, whereas the dolphins are captive creatures. However, they do say that at high tide, the dolphins 'are' able to escape into the open ocean if they please. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, but it's what they tell you.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolphin Trip Recommendations

Ironically, my family has been to Stingray City once in all the years we've gone to Grand Cayman(I've never done it :) yet the Dolphin Discovery is something they'd do again. It's nice to have options :)

BKK
Level Contributor
558 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolphin Trip Recommendations

For what it is worth, my mom checked out both dolphin places within the last few weeks and said dolphin discovery was far superior to dolphin cove. She didn't do any swim, but watched from the sidelines.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolphin Trip Recommendations

Prime, I'm a little confused and not so much about what you wrote but that the place is Cayman has BOTH names when you look it up online. You can access it's website thru both dolphincove and dolphin discovery.