We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

We have a discount rate with both of them so they come out just about equal in cost. Any preference with one or the other from folks who have used both?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

If price is the same, I would think Hertz may have newer cars than Andy's. Otherwise, it would be a toss-up in my book.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

Thanks. The price is actually a little cheaper with Hertz but Hertz doesn't have a car available for the very first day. So, we'd have to rent one day with Avis and then return the next day to swap over to the Hertz rental. A little hassle, but we're staying on East End and planned to go into town anyway the day after arrival to go food shopping. Basically it's about $25 less for the Avis 1 day/ Hertz 13 day option than for the Andy's 14 day option.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

Our most recent rentals with Hertz were, pricewise, very good, but the cars were sub-par. We stay in the central SMB area and don;t drive about all that much so not a huge deal. Look into the many other available options aside form Hertz and Andy's (Island Rentals, Cisco Avis, Budget, Thrifty, Coconut) before making your reservation.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

You do not have to go all the way to George Town to shop. there is a Foster's in Savannah.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I should strongly consider Andy's.

Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

We used Andys last June & we were pleased. They had the best rate at that time. The car was very basic & not in excellent condition but it got the job done. I have read many horror stories about people getting ripped off by car rental companies, to the point that it is almost scarry to rent one anywhere. Having said that, maybe it is a good idea to go w/Andy's. The cars are older & already dinged up a bit so they are not going to charge you for every little thing. Another good thing is you walk just across the parking lot at the airport & you are there!

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

Thanks again for all the feedback. I've pretty much checked out all the options and the other companies are running as much as $150 more than Hertz and Andy's for the same period. I'm not too concerned about the condition of the car as long as it's safe and operable. :-) We'll be mostly just hauling dive gear.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

We often use Andy's because the location is the most convenient. RIght across the street from the terminal so pick up and drop off is a breeze. The "fleets" are not updated as often as they are in big cities (it is an island so the costs of transporting new cars back and forth all the time would be silly and you can't drive that far anyway!). Many of the companies are actually owned by the same group anyway. Therefore, where someone had an older car from say H last month, they might get a new car this month. Go with the best price and what suits you best and is most convenient. Happy driving and more important happy vacation!!!

outwest
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

We have used Andy's each of the 3xs we have been to Grand Cayman. The 1st time we were there our son locked the keys in the car while we were at Pampered Ponies. They sent a representative out right away and helped us unlock the car, for free. We were sold on Andy's right then!

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car: Andy's or Hertz?

Thanks, everyone! Made the decision an easy one!

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman