We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

This may sound like a really strange question, because after searching the forum I haven't seen anyone else mention this. When we have gone to the out islands of the Bahamas, we have always brought along a soft-sided cooler with frozen meats, as well as a small suitcase with dry foods. It seems that as many people as not who go there do the same - I actually got the idea from reading the Bahamas forums here on Tripadvisor. Does anyone know if it is okay to bring frozen meat into the Caymans? I know that availability isn't the issue it is in the Bahamas' out islands, but it would save us significant $$ and leave us more to spend on fun. :) Thanks!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

You are allowed to bring in frozen meat, as long as it is in its original packaging. I did it myself in the distant past.

That said, with the baggage restrictions and charges, I would not think it financially feasible.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

Agree, it may cost a bit more to buy meat in GC, but the quality was good and not worth the hassle of lugging it from home JMHO. If you like to drink, then consider picking up some booze in duty free.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

I would not say that your savings would be significant if you brought your own meat into Cayman. Actually, I would say it would be neglible. Fresh and frozen eat are readily available at close to comparable prices,and you can check some grocery prices under the Top Questions, to the right of this page. In addition to the well stocked grocery stores there is a Cost-You-Less where you can buy in bulk at a savings...no membership required.

Edited: 15 March 2010, 22:01
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

Some people do it and the question came up a while ago to which I told about a friend's fun just over a year ago. The family was going on holiday on a sailboat with another familyleaving from BVI. As in the past they bought a cooler of food because they don't have time to go shopping (arrive, get to the boat, leave). US Security opened the cooler in transit (he had a connecting flight). When they arrived in BVI, they had a cooler of stinking meat and cheese that he was responsible to dispose of it. Not to mention that they now had to stay over night in BVI and get a taxi to a grocery store and had no hope of collecting money on his cooler of meat.

The stores in Grand Cayman are great. The are well stocked with everything you have here, plus many european and other products. Not only is it not worth the hassle of lugging the cooler around, paying the baggage fees, but with tightened security, who knows if you would have any benefit. If I was going to stay in a villa in one of the sister islands I might bring groceries, but I certainly would not to Grand Cayman. Even then I would make my purchases on Grand Cayman.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

Check this site for Fosters, you'll get an idea of prices (In CI). Its really got all you need.

http://www.fosters-iga.com/

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,623 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

Ditto to all previous posts stating packing and bringing along meats to GC definitely NOT worth the expense, hassle, potential problems considering the availabilty of great food there and minimal cost over what you would pay in a USA grocery store. What we have brought along in the past is a bag of ground coffee (we're really picky about our morning coffee!) and some packets of our grandchild's favorite instant oatmeal...both easily packed into carry-on.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

There has been mention of baggage fees, but as yet (and we do not have any special status on the airlines) we have not been charged any fees for luggage to Grand Cayman or the Turks. We were each allowed 2 bags to check without any fees. We fly American so I guess I can only say the above is true for that airline.

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

Regarding the baggage, this is an international flight, so I think the baggage allowance is different than a domestic flight, in fact I am sure it is. That is probably why you were not charged.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

Each bag could be 50 pounds without incurring extra $. Earlier this year I think it was the European Union countries that had baggage fees added.

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing a cooler of frozen meats?

Thanks to all of you for your replies and links to the grocery store - they are really helpful. I will keep in mind that availability is not an issue, and cost savings doesn't seem to be the same as it would be in the out islands of the Bahamas. Another aspect of it for me is that I would rather not spend the time shopping for everything while on my vacation - we'll have about 10 days, and I'd rather be shopping to fill in gaps and get produce & milk than the whole kit and kaboodle - just my preference. Also, when we've brought a cooler, we have brought a soft-sided one with a shoulder strap that came with its own little collapsible dolly (thank you, Costco!) - and taken it as a carry-on, so the actual bringing of it is not any kind of an ordeal. An extra bonus when traveling with kids: carry-on space for each kid! So even with bringing food, between us we only checked 3 bags, one of which was 4 peoples' snorkeling gear.

All of your input and info helps a lot in planning - particularly glad to see that fresh local fish was available at the IGA! - and I think I have a lot flexibility by knowing that there's a great variety available in the stores and the prices are quite reasonable by island standards. Thanks much!

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman