We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

I am here now GC at the Casa Caribe. We booked a ground floor unit, steps to the ocean. Have emails back and forth with the exact unit number mentioned. When we got here, I was given the key to a second floor unit. Went back to management and the unit we had booked apparently was occupied. Gave us another ground floor unit that apparently hadn't been used in a month. Very musty, old stale cigarette smell and very outdated furnishings. NOT HAPPY. But really have no choice. Our whole reason for booking was the promise of a ground floor oceanfront. I don't like it when people try and get over on me. The beach is nice though. People are going down early and markind their chairs real early in the morning with towels and then you don't see them till around noon. So that does go on here. The reviews I read are questionable. Wonder if possibly they are plants......... Have a bad taste in my mouth. They know they have you by the privates once you get here. My only salvage is that I can tell all of you my story! But still love Grand Cayman.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

It's been a while since we stayed at Casa Caribe...moved to Meridian when it opened. However, when we did stay there were in a 2nd floor unit and it was nicely furnished and had no problem getting lounge chairs on the beach.

Things change! I would not be happy either if I were promised a walkout ground floor condo, did not get it, then was placed in a musty/smokey odor one.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

Wow! I'd be pissed as well. Was there any upcharge for a ground floor unit? Any explanation as to why you were not placed in the unit # as discussed in your correspondence?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

no, just a lot of blank looks and one manager of the property threw the other under the bus. We have correspondence from the one that actually gave us the keys upon arriving stating the unit number promised. And the whole charge issue well, it's complex and we are definitely going to get into it. We decided to enjoy some vacation first and try to not let this cast a cloud.

But we were definitely wronged and I plan to pursue it.

That's bad business and I will tell everyone. TA is a great start. I wonder if they read TA?????

BKK
Level Contributor
553 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

I can certainly see your point and understand they could have done better.....maybe a free night. Anyway, things happen such as people extend their stay, they have emergency work going on in a unit which causes them to juggle everyone's reservations, owners come down on little notice and want to stay in thier unit, etc. That said it is unexcusable to give you no reason and to give you such a poor unit. I hope it is not that "don't worry man" Cayman attitude.

Maybe you could find out the real reason the people are in the unit you desire by "running into them" on the beach and striking up a conversation.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

I know how you feel. Plantana pulled the same stunt on us more than once, and we have since moved on to a complex that values our business and our requests.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

Well at least you have a good attitude in regards to enjoying yourselves first, before trying to sort the mess out. You may want to mention to the management your intentions of publicizing your unsatisfactory experience. Many establishments do monitor and or respond to their reviews and feedback from posting on the web.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

kiddos ... and what complex would that be?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

We have moved after specifically requesting a particular unit. We even used to change our travel plans to stay in one particular unit. (The kids used to call it Cayman home). When it happened that we didn't get it, we always knew the phrase "based on availability at checkin" was part of the deal. They usually did try to give us an upgrade however (once again based on availability). Once we were in an "upgrade" that we hated. Do you think that they think they have given you a better unit? Make it clear that you are willing to move mid-week if the original unit opens up (if you want to). Now as owners we know that if we need work done, we are at the mercy of the contractors who are the mercy of goods be available or arriving on the island. I find it surprising that Casa Caribe which has been around for so long, does not have the availablity disclaimer as most places do. Anyway try to work with them and you might end up with a pleasant surprise!!! This is a fairly busy week as schools in the NE atleast are closed. They might be pretty full and depending on if you have a 2 bed, might not be able to give you something bigger and vice versa. I like the idea of innocently finding out who the guests are that are in the unit. If they are owners or owner/guests, CC hands are tied, but they still might give you a night off or something.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

The original unit is now empty. But who the heck wants to pack up and move in the middle of vacation. I have done that before and it's a huge inconvenience and takes precious time out of the vacation. Several places told us before we booked that you can have this unit for two days and then move to such and such a unit that you desire. That is being up front and HONEST. And I appreciate that. And guess what, I did not book those places because I don't want to pack up and move. It's a hassle. So I get that things happen. But clearly here it was underhanded. It's all in writing what we wanted and what we reserved. And to hand me a set of keys otherwise with NO explanation to something completely different was her way of seeing if she was going to get away with it. Jeez, now I'm mad all over again. and it's pretty windy here today.......

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: holy bait and switch batman at Casa Caribe

I can only say that we were given our guaranteed unit at the old Caribbean Club for 10 years in a row, and the same applies to where we have been staying for the past 3 years. We book a year in advance and understand emergencies but the requested units were, and now are, guaranteed after the owner's claim their preferred weeks at the annual owner's meeting.

Elkay65: We now stay in the Northern end of Seven Mile Beach which may or may not appeal to you. Actually, we love it up there so much that we would never return to the central section but we all have our preferences. I'll send you a PM.