We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go to Cayman with a nut allergy?

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Go to Cayman with a nut allergy?

I'm considering a trip to Grand Cayman but my 15 year old daughter has a life-threatening allergy to tree nuts and peanuts. I'm curious if anyone has experience going to Cayman with a similar allergy? Are the restaurants willing to accommodate special requests? Are restaurant managers, waiters/waitresses and cooks easy to communicate with? We've been hesitant to travel outside of the US because of the allergy but the Caymans look so beautiful and I know my kids will love it. I've researched the medical facilities on Grand Cayman in the event there was an emergency, and the hospitals and healthcare seems to be very good. Any thoughts or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go to Cayman with a nut allergy?

We don't have to worry about an allergy problem, however, I can say my experience in Grand Cayman would not in any way preclude me from encouraging someone with any medical problem from going. It is not a third world country, it is very sophicated with and food aware. There is no language barrier, any wait staff we have come across, has been very knowledgable and helpful. That said my guess is that the pressure is on parents and allergic person to be viligant wherever they may be. My friend and accountant of many years had a tragic episode after a family Christmas meal at one of the most famous restaurants in NYC. Her family did not hold the restaurant responsible. Hopefully for your 15 year old the experience will be expansive as the US is not necessarily the best (or worst) at providing services or care or relying on servers or restaurants to be able to assist in prevention of an event. Check out www.stay-focused.org. They use Cayman for their needs because of how outstanding the medical care is. Good luck!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go to Cayman with a nut allergy?

I would agree with Retrip. I would feel most comfortable in your situation on GC more so on most other islands. I would check in to medical costs for US citizens if there was an emergency just to be safe and definitely buy trip insurance.

B.

Edited: 05 April 2010, 18:48
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go to Cayman with a nut allergy?

As far as medical care goes, a few years back husband required it within hours of our arrival for a 10 day vacation. We could not have been more pleased with both the doctor and how quickly the situation was addressed and put on the right path, including 2 prescriptions quickly filled at Foster's Strand Pharmacy.

Now his situation was not as critical as would be for someone with a nut allergy, but we have a friend with severe allergy to shellfish (actually all other fish too) so are aware of the potential for disaster. I won't even order fish when we dine out with them, although she says that is being overly cautious:) She and her husband BOTH always carry epipens wherever they go, always inquire re: any food item that could have any seafood product in it explaining how precarious it would be for her to ingest even a tiny bit!

Fellow college classmate of eldest son had a nut allergy. Went out with friends for chili, sustained an attack and died. Unfortunately she never inquired as to what ingedients went into the chili...one was peanut butter:(

As Retrip explained, Grand Cayman as safe as anyplace for you to vacation.

What is requried is you and your daughter have the same vigilence and questions you would if eating in your own home town!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go to Cayman with a nut allergy?

There was this post a few months back, I remember reading:

tripadvisor.com/…22896481

Perhaps you can contact the original poster in a PM to see how they got along with their trip, or plans - and maybe trade some ideas, cautions, etc. Best of luck!

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go to Cayman with a nut allergy?

Hi,

Sherrilynn is referring to me. My 14 yr old son has a very restricted diet with many foods he is unable to eat ....eggs, milk, soy, wheat, chicken just to name the most common. He is NOT anaphylactic so our situation is less severe. We traveled to Cayman in Dec and are here again right now. Both visits have been good for him. We only had one restaurant that was rude to us and didnt want to bother with special needs. (We knew this from an email)The rest of the restaurants were very accomodating to us.

This is what I would suggest: Go to www.caymanrestaurants.com and email a few that you may be interested in visiting and ask how they would accomodate you. You can also view the menus on that site. Our kids deal with so much...it would be great if your daughter could experience Grand Cayman. If you eat out at home, you will feel comfortable eating out here. All of the people we dealt with spoke good English except at Casanovas.....they were EXCELLENT at preparing my son's meals...ate there twice but many of the employees have broken english. I am guessing that it would be much easier for your daughter to order and say peanut allergy. My son's list of foods even contains spices so I have to be detailed with every thing they use. I feel like you will feel comfortable here. If I can answer any specific questions, please ask away!!!

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go to Cayman with a nut allergy?

kls20, thank you. You replied at the same time I was typing another posting asking you how your trip went. I really appreciate the feedback. Given the lack of language barriers we're going to go ahead with the trip. We're very careful and my daughter does carry an epi pen. I'm sure we'll be fine. We tend to stay in the more mainstream, american places (i.e., Marriott) and go to the larger restaurants. We'll take your advice and email a few in advance. Thanks again. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Btw, if you're from the Chicago area, it's cold, dark and rainy here today - I'm sure a big difference from the Caymans.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go to Cayman with a nut allergy?

I thought I would add some of the restaurants that we ate at that were very accomodating : Eduardos, Decker's, Pappagallos, Reef Grill, Casanova's, Copper Fall's, Morgan's Harbour, Margaritaville, the restaurant at Rum Point. I don't expect you to have a problem with any of the restaurants except the one that is probably mentioned most on this site. .....one that I didnt mention. If you want the name of that restaurant, I will send you a private message. I'm sure they could accomodate you, but they may not want to bother with you....they don't need the business. Have a great time!!!!

8. Re: Go to Cayman with a nut allergy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 05:17