We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What about the Rum??

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What about the Rum??

I tend to drink Barcardi Light Rum and was wondering how the local Tortuga rum compares to that? what about the other rums they produce? I've only seen it one time where i live and the bottle was so dusty looked like it had been on the shelf for 2 years and never moved haha

Thanks!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What about the Rum??

I love rum, especially aged rum. I don't love Tortuga. I would try it, but would hazard to guess you quickly switch back to your Barcardi. Seven Fathoms is the only rum actually made on the island (the others are blended in Jamaica). Have not tried it, but the responses from those who have is generally positive.

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What about the Rum??

Oh Tortuga isn't even from the island??? forget it then haha. no wonder it appears to be just as expensive as any other liquor to buy..... might try that Seven Fathoms though.... I planned on buying a bottle of bacardi in Miami before we head over as a fail safe.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What about the Rum??

Here's the history from Tortuga Rum's page:

www.tortugarumcakes.com/site/history.cfm

And Seven Fathom's Rum:

http://www.sevenfathomsrum.com/home.php

Edited: 12 April 2010, 00:15
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What about the Rum??

Seven Fathoms is very good for the price, about $32 a bottle I believe. Tortuga tends to be a rougher taste so I avoid that. My personal choice would be Ron Zacapa 23yo

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What about the Rum??

If you are drinking Barardi Light rum I would guess you are mixing it with something. In that case you are going to taste a whole lot of difference between the different lighter rums. If however you are looking to drink a dark or aged rum straight/on the rocks there are many great dark rums. The great thing is you can get Cban rums in the Caymans too. The liquor store in savannah had a good selection.

B

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What about the Rum??

That's interesting - any suggestions/comments on the Cuban rums that are available?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What about the Rum??

Havana Club is the most widely available. The 7 Anos is a particular favorite of mine with Coke. Not sure if Cuba exports any other brands to the Caribbean.

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What about the Rum??

i haven't really drank rum "on the rocks" before but would like to try it. Usually its the light rum with coke or whatever i can find in my fridge haha I'm assuming the rums you do that with are spiced like capt. morgans but a little better quality?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What about the Rum??

If you have not already, you should try a good dark rum and Coke. Sure the good stuff costs more, but buy a bottle and give it a swig. You may be surprised. Ron Matusalem, Mount Gay Extra Old and Appleton 12 year old or V/X are all quite good as mixers and hold their own straight.

But if you are looking to try a rum on the rocks or neat, then sajidgidda's suggestion of Ron Zapaca 23 year old can't be beat.

If you happen to like any, the duty free stores in the airport departure lounge have some goods deals on selected items. But you can only purchase them once you have gone through security and immigration.

10. Re: What about the Rum??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman