We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Discovery in West bay

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin Discovery in West bay

Sadly, a captive baby dolphin has died at the tourist attraction.

caymannewsservice.com/science-and-nature/201…

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin Discovery in West bay

I read that article this morning, too. Yes, very sad.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin Discovery in West bay

There is a reason why the whole dive community and those with an understanding of these marine animals are completely and totally against dolphins in these types of captive facilities. The wording of the article was interesting. They state that it is the only death since the facility "opened". No mention is made of the havoc before it and the sister facility opened during the capture and transport part of this little endeavour. My favourite piece of propoganda is when they claim the facilities are to educate the public. In that case they should be giving all the profits back to marine research organizations -- don't see that happening!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin Discovery in West bay

I know a lot of the trainers personally at Cove and Discovery, they are good people who really care about the dolphins. A lot of my friends in the Vet school volunteer to work with them in free time, sad news

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin Discovery in West bay

I am sure the trainers are lovely people who are living their lifelong dream of working with marine animals. This is from the US Humane Society which is not an alarmist group. If you want to see some of the gut wrenching truth about the lives of dolphins in captivity, just google it.

hsus.org/hsi/…

There are several more articles from the Humane Society and other groups which are more involved with fact finding rather than being extremists. Some are very enlightening!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin Discovery in West bay

Oh I know about the issues and the poor treatment many dolphins receive, was just sticking up for the little guys. I think it's a shame that some of the smartest creatures on the planet are being used for our entertainment

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphin Discovery in West bay

Yep, and as long as people keep spending money for this "experience", the pressure will be on to keep them open. My daughters saw in our Cayman tourism stuff the ads for swimming with the dolphins, and really wanted to do it. For them it seems like a fantasy realized. I told them no, and why - and that if we happen to see some while snorkeling (however unlikely) that will be a treat.

Maritimes
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphin Discovery in West bay

Don't get me started on this subject. The whole idea of it makes me see red.

Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolphin Discovery in West bay

Before visiting this or any other dolphin, whale, or other captive aquatic mammal park, I strongly suggest a Google search for: capture dolphins, capturing dolphin or dolphin capture photos. Take a look at the ruthless slaughter that goes into bringing a single dolphin to captivity for our amusement before paying their admission fees, which help them bring/kill more dolphin.

The moral issue of incarcarating innnocent mammals aside, there can be no mistake as to the horrific slaughter that is the price of bringing every single free mammal to captivity.

My condolences for the baby. Gee, anyone wonder why 10,000 times more dolphin die in captivity than in the wild? The answer is only a Google away...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolphin Discovery in West bay

I think what is most upsetting, is that an island as small as Grand Cayman has TWO of these facilities; no more than just a few miles apart. These beautiful animals should be able to go 'free', at their will.

So...spend your cash on a trip to see the STINGRAYS! Theyre not captive, they come around on their own free will!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolphin Discovery in West bay

Sajii, we met a few of the employees(don't remember names :) and agree that they were knowledgable and friendly.

It's a shame to hear about the dolphin dying :(