We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain, Rain and more Rain

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
224 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Rain, Rain and more Rain

Leaving Thursday for our first time in Grand Cayman and the extended weather report is calling for rain every day! Boy am I disappointed before I even leave. :(

Is this the rainny season now?

What is there to do when it rains?

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain, Rain and more Rain

We haven't had much rain yet, just some brief showers. The satellite picture looks pretty clear, so I wouldn't expect more than that.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain, Rain and more Rain

Do you put much faith in your local news long-term forecasts? I don't think the NY Metro meteorologists even usually provide more than a 5 day forecast. Most now basically focus on a 3-day forecast.

5-Day looks fine:

http://www.compasscayman.com/weatherwatch/

10-Day looks fine as well:

www.foreca.com/Cayman_Islands/West_Bay?tenday

No need to disappointed, unless you are a pessimist and it makes you feel better to assume the worst. :-)

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
224 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain, Rain and more Rain

Thanks but if you read those forcasts it calls for rain almost every day. Chance of thunderstorms. Hopefully brief showers not an all day thing??

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain, Rain and more Rain

OK, so you are a pessimist. ;-)

Unless there is a tropical storm system (e.g. Hurricane or Tropical Storm) most (not all) precipitation can be categorized as either: a passing shower or a passing thunder shower. Typically these events last anywhere from a few minutes (most common) to a couple of hours (less common). Rarely is a whole day or consecutive days considered a washout. Can it happen, yes.

Keep this in mind, Grand Cayman has no rain forests for a reason.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 14:28
Long Island NY
Level Contributor
224 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain, Rain and more Rain

OK, I am but just been planning this trip for so long and my last vactaion in Cabo last year we had hurricane conditions. Ruined our trip.

Thanks for the info and one more question if I may. I am at the Marriott, how close is the brewery? I have read the local beer is good and less expensive if bought there?

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain, Rain and more Rain

If it rains but are brief showers just hang in the water and it'll go away in the time it'd take to pack up and head back to the room. If it is pouring (it has happened to us on GC) things to do would be go to movies--there's a relatively new theater right in Camana Bay which is close to Marriot. Plan leisurely meals around it that normally may be rushed or not eaten out. Bring cards or a few games if that's something of interest to you. We also bring movies. If you don't care about getting a little wet, head to the shops. Pack an umbrella if you're concerned about being wet when going to/from car. I understand being disappointed if it rains during a vacation that you've been planning. Just try to adapt and move things around accordingly to fit the day and it'll be fine. Another suggestion is to book things like parasailing when you first arrive in case the weather's bad later during your trip--even winds can put an end to some things.

Have a good trip!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain, Rain and more Rain

slicerboy,

Sorry about your Cabo trip, now I can understand some of your weather concerns. Hopefully a hurricane doesn't spoil the GC trip. Another thing about the rain showers, many times they do not effect the entire island, so while it may be raining where you are, it could be perfectly beautiful in another area.

The local Caybrew beer is $36 US a case at the brewery vs around $45 a case in liquor stores, plus they have taps for free samples :). The brewery is about a 15 minute drive from the Marriott in Prospect.

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

Edited: 10 May 2010, 15:38
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain, Rain and more Rain

You can always go diving!!! You are wet anyway. I have been to 100 ft and looked up to see the raindrops at the surface. Not many places that you get vis like that. The marine life don't seem to mind the rain at all! I really wouldn't worry -- as mentioned unless a big storm or big front in hanging around, you just get hit and miss showers!

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
224 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain, Rain and more Rain

Hey guys, thanks for your help and advice. Leaving Thursday for 9 nights at the Marriott. I'll have a trip report when I get back.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain, Rain and more Rain

According to this report its is WINDY conditions that you need to be concerned about this week, not rain. Make sure to book you trips to Sting Ray City early into your visit. In the event it is closed due to chop and wind on your planned day you'll have some additional chances to get there later into your stay.

compasscayman.com/caycompass/…

Edited: 11 May 2010, 14:35
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman