We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayman Fishing?

NJ
Level Contributor
376 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cayman Fishing?

Hi All,

I'll be on the island over Christmas week. Just curious what the charter fishing is like on the island, during that time? Anyone done it? What's the catch like? What are the prices? Anyone done a shared charter? Any reputable companies you may suggest? Really looking for firsthand experience. Don't wanna pay those prices for just a boat ride.

Thanks!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayman Fishing?

Sorry, but I don't consider GC a good fishing destination. I know plenty of local folks who make money fishing, but they fish at night. Few tourists want to go out at 10 pm.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayman Fishing?

To give you an idea of what was around this Spring, here is the haul from a tournament we watched from the beach:

http://fishcayman.com/CIIFT2009.htm

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayman Fishing?

Some of our group went 1/2 day deep sea fishing a few years ago. I don't recall the pricing or even whether any fish were caught LOL I remember the name of the company so can at least pass that along to you.

captainmarvins.com/stingraycity-fishing-char…

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayman Fishing?

We go fishing in the Fla keys a few times every year. Fishing is not always catching. This year in Feb there was nothing. The guide who has worked there for 30 years plus said the fish had disappeared because of the unnaturally cold winter water temps (only a couple of degrees but important to the fish). We usually go backwater or jungle fishing, but there was nothing. Don't know if the slightly warmer waters off Cayman would have benfitted from this. We fish regularly off LI in NY and again it is not always about the catching. Honestly if you feel the time would be wasted hanging on the boat and not necessarily bringing in the catch, you are probably best to skip it as the fishing in both Fla keys and LI is a bigger industry than in Cayman. I can only surmise that there is good reason for this!

5. Re: Cayman Fishing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 05:37