We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boatswain Beach - Anything Besides Turtle Farm?

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Boatswain Beach - Anything Besides Turtle Farm?

Planning to go to Boatswain Beach to the turtle farm. The price for the turtle farm is $30 or $45 for the entire complex. Is there anything else to see other than the turtles and is it worthwhile to spend the extra to see it? Other than the turtles, it sounds like the rest of the place is like an aquarium/zoo and doesn't appear to be all that unique. I have also seen posts that mention snorkeling in the lagoon isn't all that great. Can anyone provide some insight on this topic? Thanks

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boatswain Beach - Anything Besides Turtle Farm?

We've only done the Turtle Farm portion. Have you had a chance to look at their website to see layout and description of things available? Also, you can get 20% off ticket price if you purchase online.

boatswainsbeach.ky/experience/interactive-ma…

Land O Lakes...
Level Contributor
181 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boatswain Beach - Anything Besides Turtle Farm?

IMHO, I wouldn't waste the money, even for the turtle farm portion. It's not worth $30. The lagoon last November was so full of algae that I felt bad taking my sister and bro-in-law there!

They have cut staff and are having problems. Go to Stingray City, though, that is awesome!

Blue White Diamonds
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boatswain Beach - Anything Besides Turtle Farm?

My wife and I took our 2 year old there last week. I believe the price for just the turtle far was either $32 or $36 total for the both of us (my daughter was free). Not much to see other than turtles in various stages of life. Did make for a nice picture/video moment when my daughter held a baby turtle during feeding time (1130AM and then again around 3PM). If not for something to do with a little one, I wouldn't recommend going. Can't speak of the rest of the park, as we did not take part. Take care.

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
654 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boatswain Beach - Anything Besides Turtle Farm?

The Cayman Turtle Farm remains a popular stop for visitors, as it's the world's only commercial sea turtle farm and turtles are a big part of Cayman's culture and heritage. Here's some more info on the Turtle Farm, also called Boatswain's Beach.

If you buy the "Boatswain's Beach full park access" deal then in addition to seeing and touching the turtles, you can go and watch the shark feeding (by hand!) at 11am (Monday to Friday), see the predator tank with sharks, barracuda & other fish (underwater viewing window), hand feed tropical birds in the free-flight aviary, see an endangered Cayman Blue Iguana (one of less that 1000 of these rare creatures that only exist on Grand Cayman), go walking on the nature trail (orchids bloom May & June), go snorkeling in the saltwater lagoon where you can swim with turtles and other fish, and also swim in the freshwater lagoon which is the largest freshwater pool on the island.

Algae grows naturally in the marine saltwater environment, and even moreso in a closed system like they have in their lagoon (the saltwater recirculates through a huge filter system that uses mainly ozone for purification). Most of the natural predators of the algae that would usually keep its growth well controlled in the open ocean, are not suitable to have in the park's lagoon system, so the algae is cleaned away partly by the turtles and some of the fish but mainly by mechanical means (water pressure and brushes). The park has recently increased the amount of qualified divers on staff who do the lagoon cleaning, so they recently started closing the lagoon at 2pm every day so as to have several hours of daylight left to clean the algae and keep its growth well under control.

5. Re: Boatswain Beach - Anything Besides Turtle Farm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 06:16