We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to decide which area to stay in

Alberta
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
trying to decide which area to stay in

Have never been to the Grand Cayman , we don't like to be in crowded area 50-60 age group, but don't wnat to have to drive half hour to explore and go to restaurants, love snoreling , calm waters. Where would u recomment ?

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to decide which area to stay in

I prefer central SMB area due to location of restaurants and shops plus most importantly soft sandy beach entry into beautiful clear water. While the shops across the street and main street has traffic, the beach in front of each condo is usually empty. I've stayed at CoralStone Club, Meridian and Caribbean Club since it opened and have never had an issue with crowds. Usually we're the only people around. Snorkeling can be found by walking a distance down the beach from the central area north or south.

Take a look at www.gotocayman.com or www.caymanvacations.com to see listings of places and maps. Most condos have their own websites too.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to decide which area to stay in

It depends what part of the year you are going. If you are going off season the only areas of SMB which are crowded are the areas where the cruise ship visitors go. O f you are going in the busy season and do not like crowds, I would go to north SMB. With a rental car you are 5-10 minutes away from most of the restaurants. You would also be near cemetery beach, which is a very easy place to snorkel.

Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trying to decide which area to stay in

I've been to the Caymans a few times and still struggle with the same question of what island, and what part of the island to say. There are so many choices its a little overwhelming.

I searched around a lot looking for the same things and came across the most helpful article, that I've been using ever since!

You can read it here - caymanactivityguide.com/VacationLifestyle.htm

a few other suggestions:

Go to Kaibo instead of Rum Point, unless you like huge crowds and don't mind spending $20 for a burger and beer!

Avoid Ragazzi restaurant. Okay food, but high priced for what it is (simple pizza and other generic Italian), but very rude, slow, UNhelpful waiters.

Go to Stingray City with a boat that does not take any cruise ship people. We used Soto's Cruises, www.sotoscruises.com (i think, or google it). Only about 10 on our boat, saw other boats out there with 100 and MORE!

Hope this helped.

Santiago
Level Contributor
207 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trying to decide which area to stay in

I would also recommend North Seven Mile Beach, which is much quieter and more Islandy than Central Seven Mile Beach. The snorkelling in front of Discovery Point Club Condos is fantastic and it is only a short swim or walk to Cemetery Beach, which is a very popular snorkelling spot. It is also a short drive to the best restaurants and everywhere you would need to go.

Alberta
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trying to decide which area to stay in

We are going in January and are looking at area of BOdden town ?? At Turtle Nest Inn any idea what that area is like ???

Alberta
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trying to decide which area to stay in

Which area should we avoid if we don't want to be around the cruise ship crowds :? Have you been to BOdden town area where Turtle Nest Inn is , do you know that area ?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trying to decide which area to stay in

I totally agree with filter14! We also much prefer the central SMB area to any other and have vacationed on GC over 15 times...mostly during high season mid to late March, but also in the Fall. While it is less busy in the Fall, even during March, when staying at a condo on central SMB have never experienced crowding due to the fact that only owners or renters can use their beach facilities...plus LOVE the easy convenience to so many nearby shops/restaurants. We do rent a car for the duration of our time on the island (generally 8-10 days) just so if we decide to go "out and about" it's there, but many days do not use it since the grocery store, several excellent restaurants, etc. within very short walking distance:)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trying to decide which area to stay in

I much prefer the Northside or Eastend over SMB. To me it is a completely different island, no commercialsm, traffic etc. Peaceful. There are good restaurants like Over the Edge, Kaibo and Rum Point. Rum Point beach in the morning before the cruise ships arrive is beautiful. Obviiously your overall selection of shopping, and restaurants is nothing like SMB but to me it is a easy trade off for the peace and quiet.

B>

9. Re: trying to decide which area to stay in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 06:18