We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is Starfish Beach?

seattle
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where is Starfish Beach?

Where is Starfish Beach?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is Starfish Beach?

It is located on a peninsula in Cayman Kai near the Kaibo Yacht Club, not far from Rum Point.

…tumblr.com/post/691558263/starfishbeach-que…

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,497 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is Starfish Beach?

Just published a guide for Starfish Beach:

…tumblr.com/post/822120092/starfish-guide

green bay
Level Contributor
125 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is Starfish Beach?

You are correct....we visited 3 times before we saw some starfish. However, we always went late in the day, after the dinner hour at Kaibo. Is that not a good time? BTW, we wondered what the deal was on that property. What a great piece of land .

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is Starfish Beach?

I usually walk up there in the morning.

That property is supposed to become a high end condo type development.....but this has been a few years now. Prior to this there was another development that was supposed to go in there.

Yes--it sure is a great piece of property---and it's nice having it vacant as long as possible.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is Starfish Beach?

Wow Testudo---I've never seen that many starfish at one time. Maybe 6---nice blog on Starfish Beach! That is going to be helpful to lots of people.

:-)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is Starfish Beach?

Also please be careful with the starfish. Just like testudo says in his guide, they are living animals and should be handled very carefully. I can't tell you how many people pick them up walk them around, up to the beach to show others etc. Keeping them out of water for too long can kill them. Which in GC is against the law even if you do it accidentily. So please be careful.

B.

seattle
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is Starfish Beach?

We just got back from Cayman and made visits to both Starfish and Barefoot beach. Someone must be getting ready to develop on Starfish beach. When we went we had the company of workers and machines cleaning out the brush. It was very pretty and we did see lots of starfish.

We also went went snorkeling on Barefoot beach. We were there in the late afternoon and were the only ones. It was one of the best spots we have ever snorkeled at! The coral was amazing! We saw turtles, sting rays and a 6 ft Nurse Shark! Having a alittle fear of sharks, I almost swallowed a mouth full of saltwater and pooped my pants!! But, he just sat there for awhile, then swam away.

Thanks, Testudo for all of the good snorkeling info! I was wondering what kind of camera you use for your underwater shots??

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is Starfish Beach?

Happy to read you were able to see some of my favorite spots on the island.

Ivory Kai (where Starfish beach is) was recently purchased by one of the major "benefactors" on Grand Cayman and it will be interesting to see what becomes of it. Do not know how reliable the info is, but I did hear that it may become a park. Sounds too good to be true, so I'll expect it to be developed and be pleasantly surprised when/if that is not the case.

Camera is a Pentax W80. Just north of $150 US. Great value for the underwater quality it produces. Pictures above water stink.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is Starfish Beach?

This is a starfish I saw snorkeling at Rum Point in June: flickr.com/photos/…

These are some starfish we found at starfish point on the next day: flickr.com/photos/…

Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,497 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is Starfish Beach?

Just got a message on my blog that there are now gates blocking the entrance to Starfish Beach and a sign stating closed to the public. Can only assume this means it is going to developed. :(

Since the beaches up to the high water mark are public, you will now have to walk along the beach from Kaibo (or other beach access point) or by boat to hunt for starfish.