We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
384 reviews
Save Topic
stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

i've been to stingray city before - going on a carnival cruise and an excursion says stingray sandbar - is that different? do we NOT want to do that? if we do want to do stingray city and carnival doesn't offer a trip - will there be a reputable firm waiting to offer that when we get off the boat? thoughts?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

Stingray City Sandbar is 3 to 4 ft deep. Stingray City dive site is 12 to 15 ft. Divers can stay on the bottom and feed the rays, snorkelers can swim around with them. The Sandbar gets more visitors. There are two distinct groups of rays that go to each so more people at one site does not mean the rays flock there. There are many great ops that go there. It is a popular and well regulated business so they wouldn't stay in business long if they were not good. Many offer different options -- ie number of people on the boat, additional stops, shade, head, lunch. Seach TA for info or look at stingraycity.org, caymanislands.ky or gocayman.com for some suggestions.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

Some info from the TOP Questions section that may help you decide which site better suites your needs:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147365-i261-k2111…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147365-i261-k3156…

…tumblr.com/post/…sting-ray-city-dive-site

Santiago
Level Contributor
207 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

Considering the age of the children you will be travelling with I would recommend Stingray Sandbar.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

I agree. For youngsters and first timers I would recomend the sandbar. There is much more personal interaction with the rays and it is comforting to know you can stand in the water. Next time, do the 12 foot dive spot at Stingray city. It's neat, too.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

given your descriptions, i think my hubby and i went to the stingray city that was about 8 feet deep - we took a boat there - it was a bit weird to hop off and get in with them, but we could stand.

i agree, after reading what you say, the little kiddies might feel more comfy standing and being able to walk out.

after re-reading the cruise ship (carnival) excursion choices, it seems stingray sandbar is the only choice they offer anyway....???

Grand Cayman
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

You may want to look into booking the tour on your own, you will get a similar trip if not the same one offered by the ship for a lot less if you book it on your own. There are a number of excellent companies suggested to go with and they will make sure you get back to the ship on time.

Edited: 12 August 2010, 05:56
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

i wouldn't mind doing it on our own, my only worry is what you say about getting back to ship on time and trusting that it is a reliable vendor. thoughts on that or recommendations for who to use?

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
603 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

Check out Dexter's Fantasea Tours - he gets a 5-star rating. But check to confirm whether he does pickup at the cruise terminal - I'm not certain about that. You would need to book in advance though.

His morning tour is 8:30AM-12:00Noon. See more at

http://www.dexters-fantaseatours.com/

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

I was at Stingray Sandbar 6 days ago - great time. We went on the catamaran "Cockatoo". Youngest child on the trip had just turned 3 years old & he had no problems there.

Grand Cayman
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: stingray sandbar vs stingray city?

In Cayman all of vendors are trustworthy and responsible when it comes to ship departures so no worries on that end. However most of the trips leave early so get off the ship as soon as can be considering Stingray City is a 21/2-3 hr tour. Check out http://caribselect.ky/tour.htm you will have a great time with excellent photos. They are also very child friendly and personable, you will not only get a tour but meet new friends to come back and visit.

Edited: 25 August 2010, 06:12