We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Cayman vs. Belize ???

Level Contributor
577 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Cayman vs. Belize ???

My wife and I are considering a first time trip to either G Cayman or Belize... basically because of what I have seen on House Hunters.

I would be traveling there in January or February from Boston or NYC.

Which would be your choice for a first time visitor ?

Should I fly and stay longer....

or would a cruise with its shorter stay be enough for me to get a feel for either island???

I could research cruises to see if there is one that visits both.

Thanks

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Belize ???

You really won't get a real feel for either place on a cruise. I have been to Cayman scores of times (since 1976) and to Belize 4 times. The 2 are as different as night and day. About the only common link would be the high quality of scuba diving in both places.

House Hunters episodes do not show you the reality of either place. Tell us what you are looking for in a vacation destination, and perhaps we can be of more help.

Cayman is a highly developed country. Belize is a developing country. Miles apart.

I love both, but for different reasons.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Belize ???

I agree with Sue. Rule out a cruise if you want to get the real feel for where you're staying. I have never been to Belize but there is much to love about Grand Cayman. It truly offers something for everyone's preferences, tastes and budget.

Level Contributor
577 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Belize ???

If Belize is too laid back I am afraid I might not enjoy it...

My problem is I just do not do "lay back & relax" very well.

Guess that puts GC in the lead.

Still. I am not a bright lights city person either so what would you suggest?

Any good GC websites, besides TA, you would recommend?

Thanks

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
616 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Belize ???

For other websites you could take a look at the Cayman Islands Department of Tourism websites:

http://www.caymanislands.ky/

http://www.divecayman.ky/

Orange, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Belize ???

I have never been to Grand Cayman (we are going in November), but I have been to Belize. We spent 10 days there last winter, and we did very little "lay back and relaxing". There were so many things to do, and I didn't even get to do everything I wanted to!! You can go to my profile and read all my Belize reviews if you'd like.

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Belize ???

I have been to both places and they are so different. To me the diving is way better (and more expensive) in GC. The islands themselves (I assume you are talking about Ambergris Caye in Belize) are like night and day. GC is very developed, almost like being in Miami, whereas Belize is much more rustic. You will spend more on lodging in GC and there are many more good (but expensive) restaurants in GC. If budget is an issue, you can def get more bang for your buck in Belize, but if money is not an issue, or if you prefer more luxury, than GC is where I would go.

7. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Belize ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 07:17