We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isolated Thunderstorms? What does that mean?

nj
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Isolated Thunderstorms? What does that mean?

We're leaving for SMB on Sunday and in looking at the weather, keep seeing "isolated thunderstorms" for every day of the trip. What does that mean? Is it like Florida or Bahamas where it rains for like an hour a day? Do I need to bring ponchos and umbrellas?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isolated Thunderstorms? What does that mean?

We've never taken an umbrella with us. But I would guess that if you wanted to go wandering around town shopping and it was raining you might like to have an umbrella. We usually just wait until the rain stops or go and do something where we just have to run in. I think isolated means it might rain on one part of the island and not on another. We have seldom been there when it has rained for a whole day. Usually it will rain for a little while and then clear up.

I have to admit that I once made a raincoat out of a garbage bag.

Edited: 21 August 2010, 04:07
NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isolated Thunderstorms? What does that mean?

We've had rain off and on this week here at least along SMB area. I packed an umbrella but didn't use it basically bc we all just came inside and either took naps, watched tv or played games. There's really no way to know how long it would rain. We lost most of Thursday this week to rain as we were tired of going back and forth from the condo. Sometimes you can wait it out on the beach but other times when it starts thundering/lightening like it was a few times this week, it's just smarter to go inside.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
177 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isolated Thunderstorms? What does that mean?

It has been a sunny nice hot day today. My advice is that if you wake up and it's nice, go snorkeling, shopping, beach walking early, for this time of year (this week) we had thunder boomers afternoons...I always travel with small umbrella...then it usually does not rain!!

4. Re: Isolated Thunderstorms? What does that mean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2011, 07:00