We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol question>???

PA- USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol question>???

I have read that alcohol is very expensive to buy in grand cayman. I also have read that you can bring in 1 liter per person. My questions is: Do you buy it at home and pack it in your checked baggage or do you buy it in the duty free store of the US airport you depart from?

Thanks in advance!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol question>???

You can do either, but I buy at the duty-free shop in the last airport before Cayman. It's cheaper for me. And I have heard of bottles breaking in checked luggage.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol question>???

What NorthSideSue posted.

Liverpool, NY
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol question>???

Alcohol is expensive in Cayman. We bring it from home, but in a plastic bottle well wrapped in clothing.

People bring beer in too but I've never done that. Try Caybrew for a local beer. Pretty good.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol question>???

last year we did the duty free shop before getting to cayman. sometimes they have really good sales AND you just get it when you board the plane so you don't lug it around with you at the airport..... you don't have the variety of rums that you might find on the island - i didn't think the prices of alcohol on island were outrageous, just not cheap.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol question>???

We paid $40CI for a half gallon of Tortuga gold rum, little bit pricey but worth it.

NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol question>???

I've taken liquor all over the world in checked baggage, in the 1 liter glass bottles it comes in, multiple times, with not a single breakage. I wrap it in 2-3 good plastic bags and knot them individually so they're watertight (just in case). Then I place the bottle in a large soft-sided suitcase, surrounded in clothes, in the middle of the suitcase - no more than about 3 bottles per suitcase.

This works because (1) Baggage handlers find it hard to throw a 50 pound suitcase around; (2) the bottles are well padded; and (3) there's a good amount of compressible space around each bottle.

PA- USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol question>???

If we have liquor in our checked bag, do we have to tell them when we go through customs?

Thanks for all the info.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol question>???

I usually put mine in those plastic flasks that can be purchased at liquor stores. Prior to travel I pretest to make sure there is no leakage. In addition I put them in a large ziplock bag. In case I will be bringing glass bottles back I bring bubble wrap to wrap the bottles in. Last few times the Tortuga Duty Free Shop at the airport has used bubble wrap containers specifically for 0ne liter bottles. When bringing alcohol in to the Caymans in your luggage I declare it and rarely has the custom agent asked to see it.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol question>???

"If we have liquor in our checked bag, do we have to tell them when we go through customs?"

Legally you do, or run the risk of a hefty fine if discovered and above the duty free limit. Duty free limits are: 1 liter hard stuff, 1 case of beer or 4 liters of vino.

10. Re: Alcohol question>???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 07:49