We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

Twin Cities, MN
10 posts
Save Topic
Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

We are a family with a teenager and two elementary age kids looking for a great place to spend our spring break. We are not usually resort type vacationers and prefer to rent something where we have a full kitchen to keep on our budget. Our desires are: nice beaches, accessible snorkeling, waves for body surfing (is that possible in the Caribbean?) , not overly touristy, and other fun adventures that a 8 and 9 year old could handle. We are not shoppers but like to have basic necessities near by. Prefer places where we can rent a car if we need to. We have ruled out Atlantis (too expensive and not really our style). We have been to Maui twice and love it, but the teenager really wants to try something new. Any recommendations?

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

Our kids always loved Grand Cayman. There are many condos on the beach and grocery stores are excellent. Check out these sites caymanvacation.com, caymanvacations.com, caymanvillas.com.

The big activities here are snorkeling and diving. There are some other activities that are available--not much in the way of body surfing unless a big storm comes in.

Car rentals are available across the street from the airport or at Seven Mile Beach locations.

Good luck

columbus,oh
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

We are going every year with our kids now 15 and 9.

We adore this island and they love it here.

No bodysurfing,but great ocean,beach,snorkeling,food.

I would recommend staying at North End of SMB.Christopher Columbus or Anchorage are best bang for your buck.

If you have specific questions ,you are welcome to pm me.

Wooferville
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

I love GC & the great snorkeling/sandy beachs however if you are budget minded GC can be very expensive compared to the Caribbean side of Mexico specifically the Rivera Maya.

When we have gone to GC we enjoyed our stay at the Turtle Nest Inn. Check it out as it is a small condo style place nice pool good snorkeling out in front of it though the beach is not as good as SMB or Rum Point. They also have a rental vehicle as part of the package. There was food shopping close by as well.

Generally I have never found the wave action to be big enough to do any body surfing. If you go Sting Ray City is a must plus the turtle farm. These will please your children. Also the underwater sub adventure.

If you look at the Rivera Maya check out Puerto Aventuras. Large gated community type place with 3 A.I. resorts and an abundance of condo's. Has a dolphin marina with small shops/resturants. Close by shopping, minutes from Playa Del Carmen. Great snorkeling all over the area with accessable beaches. If you go a day trip to Akumal Bay is also a must where you can snorkel and see an abundance of turtles up close & personal like. Again not so good for body surfing but way more affodable than G.C.

We rent a codno there that is beachfront,pool just steps outside our door with the beach just steps away on the other side of that. If you want to know more feel free to PM me.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

Grand Cayman is a great island and I'm sure everyone will love it. The water tends to be on the calm side usually, so if you can do without bodysurfing, everyone will be happy. There are many condos to choose from and the beach in front will not be crowded. A good start is to go to www.caymanvacations.com and you can see decriptions of various buildings along with their location.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

I think GC would work for you. The 7mile beach area in my opinion is more touristy. If you want something more laid back look to the North side or East End there are some great condos North Pointe to rent and houses too. It is very quiet.

St John also may be good for you tons of snorkeling, (better than GC), hiking, and lots and lots of villas to rent.

I am sure somewhere in the Caribbean there is body surfing but I don't know where. Usually do to the abundance of coral it is either too calm or too dangerous. If you are looking for something to do more adventurous try Kite surfing in Grand Cayman on the East End.

B.

Iowa
Level Contributor
569 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

If you're looking for snorkeling AND body surfing/boogie boarding....Barbados is one island that offers both. I haven't been there but have been researching it. Doesn't sound like the snorkeling can compare to GC which we enjoyed tremendously but my kids like to do both activities and Barbados seems to fit the bill. Maybe someone reading this has been to both. I know there have been posts comparing the two.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

Fabfam8862,

As the previous posters have mentioned a condo on central or north Seven Mile Beach sounds perfect but do not overlook the East End as well.

There is also a skate board park, but then again, maybe we should keep that a secret.

CTR

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

Have you ever heard of Bocas del Toro, Panama? My wife and I love Grand Cayman for diving ... but, we also love Bocas for beaches, snorkeling, body surfing and cost.

Bocas has all the activities you're looking for - great body surfing, nice beaches and excellent snorkeling. The snorkeling reefs are very shallow - 4 to 10 feet of water - and well protected from the surf. They are better than any of the snorkeling reefs on Grand Cayman.

Best yet, it's far less expensive than the Caribbean Islands -- especially Grand Cayman. You don't have worry about renting a car. Everything in Bocas Town -- which is where I strongly recommend staying -- is easily walkable. The beaches and snorkeling reefs are accessed by water taxi. Food and lodging are much, much cheaper than Grand Cayman.

Check out the hotels at www.bocas.com. My wife and I like Cocomo-on-the-Sea, Hotelito del Mar and Tropical Suites.

Denver, North...
Level Contributor
38 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

We have a 14yr old and a 9yr old. We go to GC every year.

Our 14 year old dives with me and our 9 year old will get certified this summer before we go so he will be able to dive with us. If you don't dive there is still a lot to do.

10. Re: Is Grand Cayman a good place for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2011, 06:19