We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking food into GC

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Taking food into GC

From some recent posts it seem you have to declare food taken into Grand Cayman. In the past I have not, as it was dried food such as coffee and cereal. Do you have to declare everything? Also, this time I'll be taking more exotic food ("westcoast smoked tofu", Yves veggie dogs) not necessarily available on GC. I'm assuming that type of thing is allowed as it's not an animal product, but that we'll have to declare it.

Any clarification of this? Thanks.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking food into GC

The rules from the CI Customs website:

"Tourist and other visitors should declare ALL gifts, foods, spirits, liquor, tobacco products and any other items in their possession, other than their normal wearing apparel, personal effects/toiletries and articles of personal adornment which are reasonable for the time of the intended visit to the Cayman Islands.

Perishable food items imported into the Cayman Islands requires a certificate of wholesomeness from the country of purchase or origin and is subject to inspection by the C.I. Department of Agriculture on arrival. An import permit issued by the C.I. Department of Agriculture is also required."

www.customs.gov.ky/portal/page…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking food into GC

Thank you! So much for the Westcoast Smoked Tofu; sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Too bad, I love the stuff.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking food into GC

Just remember, declaring doesn't mean it is going to subject to tariff or be confiscated. Most tourists bringing in food stuffs for personal consumption don't usually have any issues. Also the "Wholesome Certificate" can be the label placed on the food by the manufacturer or re-seller from a US or Canadian entity.

Edited: 26 December 2010, 02:26
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking food into GC

Unfortunately, neither brand of smoked tofu, nor any Yves products specifically state that they are "wholesome" so I don't know if the regular label is adequate. They state "made with non-GMO soybeans" etc. And how do you get the certificate from CI dept of agriculture for that type of thing at the airport?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking food into GC

Just declare "vegetarian food items" on the form and state the dollar value. You won't have a problem. The standards Testudo quoted apply mainly to commercial importation.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking food into GC

Ok, thanks.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking food into GC

Since the questions comes up on occasion as to what needs to be declared at CI Customs and what doesn't, the letter of the law is that:

"Tourist and other visitors should declare ALL gifts, foods, spirits, liquor, tobacco products and any other items in their possession, other than their normal wearing apparel, personal effects/toiletries and articles of personal adornment which are reasonable for the time of the intended visit to the Cayman Islands."

Interpret as you choose.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking food into GC

PS

I lived in Bellingham for many years!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking food into GC

I agree that you need to declare the food.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking food into GC

We love Bellingham! I sent you a PM.