We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Jan 1-8

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Jan 1-8

Here goes nothing, hope I don't bore anyone.

Sat Jan1, left Connecticut 3:05am for JFK, gott o Airpark in 2 hours.Shuttle to Cayman Air, checked in, security a breeze as always. Took off at 8:50am, they served turkey sandwiches which were a welcome and rum punch.We landed at 12:20, great flight.

Immigrations and customs were a breeze here too. Went to Andy's for our cracker box car. I must say we are a party of 4, me,hubby,brother and niece and 8 pieces of luggage. Somehow we fit it in the car with luggage on top of us. On to Sunset House(I posted a review). We spent the afternoon sunning and relaxing as nothing was open because of the date. Headed out to find dinner and wanted to see the Creighton House lit up. Ended up at South Coast Bar and Grill (see review) great local place. On the way back we stoppped at the house all lit up, wow, spectacular. The driveway palm trees were lit and syncronized to music, just awesome. This house is way better than the one across from Sunset House. The weatherwas perfect.

SunJan2 off to find breakfast, landed at Eats for their $3.99 special (thanks to CAG) . Again nothing open because it's sunday. Hubby and niece dove to the mermaid and had fun. Sunned somemore til lunch time. Went to Hammerheads for conch fritters,mahi sandwich and jerk pork sandwiches, with drinks our bill was 114.89CI, yikes.It was good though. Weather again perfect. Dinner was at Guy Harvey's for thie $9.99 special,penne with lobster in lobster sauce, very good.They had the best conch fritters of all those that we tried during our week.

Mon Jan3. packing up to go to the Marriott for the rest of our stay. Ate breakfastat Coconut Joes, not as we remembered, butok. Checked in and hung around pool and beach. We bought Tortuga gold rum 1/2 gal for $49CI, 750 of coconut $24 CI and 12 pack of Bud light $19.27CI, that hurt the pocket too.We went to Maca Buca for their all you can eat bbq dinner $15, was ok.

Tue Jan4 Tried Cimboco for their $5 breakfast, very good, went back again during the week. Hiung around some more. Decided to drive to Rankins Jerk center for lunch, had the jerk chickenwith red beans and rice, good choice. Headed toward Beach Bubbles(review)| and bought some soaps.Hubby and brother went to see Barefoot Man , niece and I had dinner at Coconut Joes, not very good fish and chips.

WedJan5 Breakfast at Cimboco again, the to Smith's cove for snorkling which wasn't very good,stayed a little while, watched a wedding then headed to the Lobster Pot for a drink and conch fritters.The worst fritters of our trip, tasted like ground up sausage.Hung at the pool til dinner. Guy Harvey's special of seafood pasta, very good.

Don't rememeber which day,but went to Caybrew for a couple of samples, prices are case of caybrew 29CI, 35US, ironshore bock 45US.

Thur Jan6 decided to try Coritas Copper Kettle for breakfast (review), nice quaint place. Sought out Miss Ivy for her jerk sauce, very nice lady, had nice chat with her. Stopped at Breezes for their conch fritters and cat5 hurricanes($8.95CI). Went back to Maca Buca so hubby and niece could dive, brother and I had drinks while waiting.. Guys went to Guy Harvey's again for the steak special, niece and I went to Aqua beach for mahi mahi, very good.

Fri Jan7 breakfast at Eats, hung around beach and pool most of

the day. I'm starting not to remember where we ate, but had a turkey mango sandwich from Cafe Del Sol which also has free wifi which we used during the week.

Sta Jan8, time to pack for home,but this was a goodday, we went to Caymana Bay and walked around, up the observation tower for pictures, they have done a lot there in 2 years . Wealso found the Conch house. Did some last minute shopping in Georgetown and ate lunch at TheOld Gaol Cafe, surprisingly very good, sandwiches were $8.75US. Dropped car at Andy's, shuttled to airport, bought our rum for $10 a bottle and Blackbeards rum cakes $23.95 for 6 small and a large free.Security there was easy. we didn't take off till almost 6, landed back at JFK 9:30 for a drive home in the snow.

I have nine separate reviews posted of places we ate and visited. We also tried lots of conch fritters and found Guy Harvey's the best and Sunset House and Lobster Pot the worst. All the other places were good.

We went to Island Glass blowing a few times too, they made a special turtle for my grandson, a place worth visiting.

Hopefully this wasn't too long.

Thanks for reading and looking at my pictures, til next trip

Laurie

Edited: 14 January 2011, 19:40
Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Jan 1-8

One thing I forgot, we saw the Kittiwake in Georgetown Harbour, then up at West Bay for the sinking, but it didn't happen on day one, so we went back the next day and I guess it took 6 hours to sink, sorry but we couldn't hang around that long. Wish we could have seen it sink, but we have pictures before it sank.

USA
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Jan 1-8

Wow! What a fun and informative trip report! I loved your comments about restaurants, but I loved even more your tales of all the "excursions" you took on the Island.

Thanks for posting.

PS I also enjoyed your reviews - well done!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Jan 1-8

Nice report and pictures. Will have to search out that flip flop tree. Has me counting down the days....Anxiously waiting for your South Coast review to get approved.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Jan 1-8

Testudo, thanks for reminding me, I forgot to review Southcoast, I'll do it tomorrow, I have two pictures too.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
331 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Jan 1-8

Ralphy - Thanks for your trip report. Looking forward to reading your reviews of where to eat - we will be there in 10 weeks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Jan 1-8

Ralphy...awesome! Thank you for the report! Especially for the heads up on the conch fritters! I love the cracked conch at The Cracked Conch/Maca Buccas...so I'll give Harvey's a try.

Definately want to know where you found the Flip Flop Tree!

So glad you're back safe and sound, and I'm sure you're already planning your return!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Jan 1-8

Sherilynn, the flip flop tree is on South Sound rd past a dock area. Go past Pure Art and Smith's Cove and keep going til you see a big tree bending down toward the water, that's where it is.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report Jan 1-8

Great report! Thanks for posting. Nice to see you met Miss Ivy. She is such a sweetheart.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report Jan 1-8

Pigsterz, we had a really nice chat with Miss Ivy,spoke with her at the port and at the craft market, she made sure to have her jerk sauce for us on friday, what a woman.

East Hartford...
Level Contributor
223 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report Jan 1-8

Great report and nice pictures, Laurie! Made me wish I was there right now, instead of staring out at 2' of snow everywhere!!!! Our last trip to Cayman was almost two years ago and close to three years ago when we met on the CA flight from JFK & then again on island!

Happy travels,

Kathy