We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taste of Cayman

New Hope...
Level Contributor
734 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Taste of Cayman

I was think of going to Grand Cayman at the end of this month. Would going to the Taste if Cayman be worthwhile?

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taste of Cayman

Yes - if you like food and fun! It can be crowded though as it is a very popular event on the island, but it's at a nice venue (Camana Bay) and very festive atmosphere. You can sample delicacies from many different restaurants and styles.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taste of Cayman

We haven't gone for several years but it is a great way to sample the different restaurant's foods....you buy tickets that you can trade for food at the various food stations....there are also drinks, and...don't know if they still have this, but you can buy tickets for a chance to win a vehicle. Go hungry!

West Kelowna, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Taste of Cayman

Never Again.

I paid $30 for a ticket in advance, followed the signs to park in a garage at the opposite end of the event's entry gate. After working our way through the crowds and noisy barkers and radios, we finally got to the gate where we got ticket stubs for food and could buy tickets for drinks. Now, imagine holding a glass, two sets of tickes, fork and tiny plastic plate with a dollop of food, such as a tiny piece of cheese with a sour tomato, being elbowed and foot run over by baby carriages in a confined space and hardly any place to set something down so you an eat the bitty thing. Imagine lining up again at troughs with other pigs to get your morsel of food whilst juggling all your mess and while deliveries are wheeled at speed on the same narrow walkway shared by the crowds of paying people, strollers, volunteers, and bands. Now you know why I and others gave away over $10 in drink tickets and went to spend a lovely evening at a restaurant, sitting down, being served, quietly enjoying our conversation and food for less money than the ill-thought 2011 food event.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taste of Cayman

Thanks for the info. I heard from other people that over 5000 tickets were sold. That is why I went to Agua last night and had a great meal without any hassle.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taste of Cayman

Thanks for the info. I heard from other people that over 5000 tickets were sold. That is why I went to Agua last night and had a great meal without any hassle.

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taste of Cayman

we went and enjoyed it. We had nice, relaxing dinners all week so we were OK with a bit more crowded place to go. We walked from the Marriott but I can imagine parking was crazy. We did the prepaid tickets from the hotel for $30, and with that you get 14 tickets. A lot of vendors they were so busy, people was just walking up grabbing samples and walking away. Also we got some huge Margaritas from Margaritaville simply by giving them our tokens (we even found 2 tokens and about 10 food tickets on the ground).

It was a very much crowded event, but being able to sample different types of foods made me know what places to try next, and ones not to try. For example, i now know i'll never eat at Macdonalds or the Aqua resteraunt. And if you were a single male, holy cow..lol..I also got to try a couple other deserts that i've been wanting to try and i'm glad i did because they were really good. One was Sticky Toffee Cake.

I'd probably do it again, it was fun and only happens once a year. The lady at the gate told us they were supposed to have an estimated 4k people there. To the poster complaining about it, you obviously didn't know what you were getting yourself into. What did you expect for a once a year food/wine event, that you would go to a vendor and get a large plate and go find a place to sit nice and quite? I'm sure if i was a lot older, the place would've gotten on my nerves but i'm 30 and my wife and I enjoyed it.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taste of Cayman

amazoncanada or anyone else is free to express their honest opinion and share their experience on this forum without being challenged. Everyone perceives things differently.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taste of Cayman

I have heard it was vastly oversold from some friends that went. it seems to be a trend though, I was at the first and second events and noticed an increase in attendance. I think the first year was the best, a lot of charm in sitting next to Bourdain for a few hours getting drunk then cracking jokes with Eric Ripert. The prices tripled for the 2010 event, but it was still very good. I'm not a fan of such a large scale event

9. Re: Taste of Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 05:19