We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

undecided?? Caymans or Turks??

Boonville, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
undecided?? Caymans or Turks??

We are undecided if Caymans or Turks would be a better AI vacation! anyone want to give pro/cons? We are 50 , like to explore the islands, love beaches & renting car, don't need luxury- just want variety of relaxing and activities to look for. Thanks!! Upstate NY

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: undecided?? Caymans or Turks??

Hey upstate! Although I have never been to turks hubby and i are planning to go there in augst ( anniversary) I have been to cayman islands, and quite a few others Cayman island is my VERY favorite island in teh caribbean...so it always gets my vote! :) Beautiful beaches ( 7 mile beach is there) its just my fav place to be....sry i wasnt exactly "helpful" but when i read your post u guys sound alot like us, we always rent cars and drive around and sometimes get lost..but its part of teh "experience" and we love it. I' sure whatever you choose u guys will have a ball...:)

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: undecided?? Caymans or Turks??

You'll find more AI properties in Provo than you will in GCM. I've done both, within just months of one another. Hard to really choose - as they both offer gorgeous waters and beaches. I prefer the restaurants in Provo than to those in Cayman. GCM is much more cosmopolitan/built up - you will definately get more of restful holiday in Provo, as there is much less to do and see.

You won't go wrong with either decision! Happy Anniversary!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: undecided?? Caymans or Turks??

We went to Provo for seven years before finding Cayman, and we agree: the beaches are better in Provo, but more choice of things to do and better restaurants in Cayman, better snorkeling without having to boat to outer reef, and easier driving around the island. I wouldn't say no to a trip to either island :) We always stayed at the Sands, not an AI, and found the AI resort areas to be the only crowded streatches of Grace Bay. We like the northern end of SMB on Cayman as it is not crowded. Just our humble opinion; hope it helps.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
422 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: undecided?? Caymans or Turks??

I cannon speak for all-inclusives as we've never done them, but I can say that you cannot go wrong with either island. We've visited Grand Cayman 5 times, Provo 3 times and think they are both the two best beaches anywhere! Both are relatively safe (take normal precautions as you would in the States), both have friendly people, and both have lovely restaurants and modern grocery stores if you want to eat out or eat in.

If you like to drive around and look at stuff, Grand Cayman would get the nod as it is a little more diverse in scenery and stuff to do than Provo. Provo probably gets a slight nod for beach quality. There is more to do in Grand Cayman, but Provo is great if you want a totally relaxing beach vacation. We spend most of our time on both islands on the beach--we don't get beauty like that here in Dallas--the water and sand are incredible!

I am not aware of any AI's on Cayman, I'm sure there are one or two, but know Provo has Beaches (can get crowded during certain times) and a couple of condo resorts that will add a meal plan to make them all-inclusive.

Seriously, you cannot go wrong with either place if you love beautiful beaches and clear gorgeous water. Maybe pick by which place you can fly to easiest and cheapest and has a place to stay that looks good to you???

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
5. Re: undecided?? Caymans or Turks??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2012, 05:26