We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
12 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

We're going to the Caymens for the first time in May. I read other topics about whether a rental car was needed over a taxi, but does anyone know how much it would be to take a taxi from the airport in Georgetown to the Morritt's in the East End?

We're staying for 7 days and wonder if the price of a rental car for a week is worth it, if we only used the car two or three times.

I would like the freedom of a rental car but the flights ended up costing several hundred more than what we thought they would so if the rental car is going to be too much, we may just choose the taxi route.

Also, any recommendations on car rental companies on Grand Caymen? I think I also read something about needing a Caymen drivers license? - after you leave the airport, are you supposed to find one of these Licensing offices and apply for a license? (nice souvenier but how long would that take and what if our flight lands late?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
East End
East End
Grand Cayman
Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

The taxi to Morritt's will run in the range of $60 plus tip each way. That will be fine if you plan to plant yourselves at the resort and not go any further than the Reef next door. There will not be taxis readily available to take you elsewhere on the island. Your choice.

The Cayman temporary license is issued by the car rental company. $7.50.

Edited: 04 March 2011, 23:59
Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

It's called Grand Cayman where you are going

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

: )

Edited: 05 March 2011, 01:32
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

You'll be stuck out there if you don't have a car, unless you're just planning on staying on the property. Rent a small car, just to have it. We usually use Avis/Cico, but have also used Andy's. Most people on this board have used each of the rental companies and are happy with them. Go with the one that gives you the best price.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

I tried Budget's name your own price and got a mid-size car for $30 US over Easter Week. I'm sure you can get and econo-box for less. No too shabby in my book.

http://www.budget.ky/name_price.html

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

Shop around now for rental car prices online. If you have AAA, try going to their website and punching in your dates. Prices vary all the time. We travelled to Puerto Rico Xmas week. I found a good price online months prior and reserved (didn't have to give credit card). When I checked other times, that week almost doubled in price.

It's like airline bookings, they go up and down constantly. KKEP CHECKING.

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
12 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

Thanks for the link -and to everyone for the information. We'll definitely rent a car.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

I know I am late on this, but you won't regret renting a car. We stay at Morritts every year and have often met people who felt trapped by not having the mobility of a rental car. We have used Andy's most years and this year we used Dollar. No problems with either.

Have a wonderful time.

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
12 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

Thank you!! I'm actually glad we decided to go with the car, we'll see so much more of the island and at our own schedule.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Price of rental car versus a taxi to East End

Rent a car. Its fun and easy to explore the entire island on a whim. The caymans are expensive so dont be cheap and get a car.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman