We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is everything really that expensive?

Long Island, NY
12 posts
Save Topic
Is everything really that expensive?

I am going on my honeymoon in the second week in November. We already booked the Ritz Carlton and I know everything will be expensive at the resort. In the interest of saving money my FH and I are planning on eating lunch and dinner off resort premises. Are the local restaurants also as expensive as the Ritz? How much per day should we budget for food/drinks? We arent huge drinkers, but we like to enjoy a cocktail or two with dinner and while sitting on the beach. How much do drinks run at the Ritz? Also, as far as excersions, are they more expensive than other islands in the Caribbean? How does the food/drinks price compare to other islands?

Thank you to anyone who can give me some advice!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is everything really that expensive?

Grand Cayman can get expensive, you loose 20 bucks on a 100. That hurts. Some restaurants have good specials, like Guy Harveys. Buy your booze at your departing airport, much cheaper.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is everything really that expensive?

There are definitely less expensive islands to visit. For us we liken it it to the saying you get what you pay for.

Check out Cayman Good Taste for menus with pricing for many of the restaurants on Grand Cayman. Just remember to add 25% to the quoted prices to convert to US & CA (assuming current approx. parity to USD). Many establishments also auto-include the 15% gratuity to your bill.

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/

With a little effort, you can find places to dine that do not cost as much as a tasting menu at Blue (OK, not much effort needed for that). While not fancy, Sunshine Grill, Tim Buc Tuu and Al Fresco's all present good food at a good value. Plenty of other places as well, like Guy Harvey's specials mentioned above and other "local fare" establishments.

Check some on-line resources for dining specials and other discount opportunities:

eCay

www.ecayonline.com/ecay_food_and_drink.asp

ecayonline.com/5pm_restaurant_vouchers.asp

What's Hot

http://www.compasscayman.com/whatshot/

(Look under the "DIVERSIONS" heading)

Wild Banana

wildbanana.ky/Restaurants_and_Bars-list.aspx

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is everything really that expensive?

That is the #2 most asked question on the right side of this page.

Each adult is allowed to bring one liter of booze into the island. It is much cheaper to buy at the duty free shop in your airport.

To give you an example of prices; a case of Bud Light cost $18 + tax at home. It was $44/case on our last trip.

steamboat springs
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is everything really that expensive?

We will be on Grand Cayman for the 1st time the last week of April. We want to snorkel several times while we are there. Can anyone recommend a few "must see spots"? Also, our daughter will be doing several dives. Anyone recommend any company in particular?

Thanks for your help.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is everything really that expensive?

A few of my favorite snorkel spots are covered here:

snorkelblog.tumblr.com (no ads)

caymansnorkelblog.blogspot.com (ads, with larger site images)

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is everything really that expensive?

My sister and I dive with Off the Wall Divers each trip. They take small groups which we perfer. They will pick her up and drop her off at your resort if needed (along SMB). check them out at www.otwdivers.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is everything really that expensive?

I do believe, as Testudo has said - "You get what you pay for" when it comes to Grand Cayman. I've been to much less expensive islands, but wouldn't go back if my trip was free. You've picked a wonderful place for your honeymoon. If budget is that much of an issue, consider staying at a less expensive hotel and spend your $ elsewhere around the island.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is everything really that expensive?

As noted above, duty free liquor is a great, cheap way to have a few cocktails on the island (even on SMB -- we have brought our own drinks down on the sand in plastic cups and never have any trouble). Be careful to note the strict limit of about 1 liter per person of spirits that can be brought onto the island duty free.

So. Cali
Level Contributor
73 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is everything really that expensive?

YES...it is truly expensive. We just returned on Saturday and I was stunned at the amount of money we paid for everything.

However, the people and the island are amazing. We have been to so many countries in the Carribean and I'm not sure I can say that I have seen one more clean (even the public restrooms). The people are so friendly and so considerate. Also, unlike other countries, they are NOT pushy in anyway. You don't get hassled on the beach with people trying to sell you stuff, they aren't grilling you while shopping. You just do your own stuff and people are there to help when you need it.

Tampa
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is everything really that expensive?

Is it worth it really?? I'm struggling with this aswell - I just started researching Grand Cayman and plan on exchanging my II timeshare however one option The Reef Resort has the following additional charges: For me that is at minimum $140 and I've NEVER paid additional charges at a resort I'm exchanging into.

TAXES AND SERVICE CHARGES:

All rates do not include 10% government tax and 12% service charge.

ENERGY SURCHARGE

Unfortunately with the current economy we find ourselves facing dramatically increasing costs, which are forcing us to adjust the way we do business. As of June 1st 2011, there will be an energy surcharge added to all room rates as follows:

Studio and Deluxe Studio US$ 8.00 per night

One Bedroom Executive Suite US$ 12.00 per night

Two Bedroom Master Suite US$ 20.00 per night