We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airfare increases

Houston
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
airfare increases

Hi there! My hubby and I are leaving for GC May 8 and just this week fares increased from Houston by $125 a ticket. Anyone have any experience on purchasing airfare closer to date of departure? I thought Tues and Weds were the best days to get lowest fares, but they don't seem to be decreasing this week. Thanks in advance!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airfare increases

I just had to book a flight less than a week out and the prices were much higher than when the initial purchase was made months out.

Flights for July are astronomical for me and September is higher but not ridiculous...yet.

With fuel prices predicted to reach record levels this summer and carriers paring down on flights and routes, I do not anticipate seeing fare increases abating anytime soon.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airfare increases

The days of last min airfare are gone. If you are realy leaving this May 8th and have not booked your tickets waiting will only cost you more money. Possibly a lot more money. Also planes are flying full so your seat selection witll be bad. I used to wait now I start looking as early as possible and find a fare I am happy with and book. I am normally booking at least 2-3 months out now.

B.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airfare increases

I used Name your own price on Priceline last week for May 11th - NYC to GCM. I saved about 35%.

Last month, I booked florida three days out using priceline and paid $106 RT.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airfare increases

Wow--that is a really great deal. Was that a last minute trip or had you booked the GCM ticket in advance?

Houston
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airfare increases

Thanks for the input. I called Continental about this matter. Maybe I am the only person that doesn't know this, but the rep told me that a certain number of seats are sold in each price grouping. This is apparently done regardless of the demand for the flight. For instance, the lowest fare is sold for X number of seats and raised after that point, even if the remainder of the seats go unsold. So, I went ahead and booked the flight for fear the rate would only go up, not down.

iowa
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: airfare increases

We just used cheapoair.com and paid about 55% less for our flight last week from Cedar Rapids to Chicago and caught Cayman Air there. We paid less r/t from CR than we normally do just from Chicago.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
904 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airfare increases

We just booked our February 2012 flights from Boston with daughter-in-law and three grandchildren earlier tonight. Last week we were looking at Cayman Airways for $453 each / $2,719 for 6 from JFK and were seriously thinking about doing overnight drives from/to Boston after deciding the options from Boston were either lousy or too expensive, but we ended up waiting for the daughter-in-law to get permission from her boss to take the week for vacation.

So in the meantime, earlier this week they went up to over $1,000 for the same Saturday to Saturday round trip. Ouch! We ended up booking Sunday to Sunday on Continental, round trip from Boston ended up $556 each / $3,341 for 6.

Certainly more tolerable than shelling out $6,000+ for the same flights on Saturday, but now we have to try to swap a timeshare day at The Reef. Celine, as the resident Reef expert, do you think a swap of Saturday Feb, 18 for Sat. Feb. 25 is doable?

Edited: 22 April 2011, 05:36
8. Re: airfare increases

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 21:17